I finally got my GF Pro... but worried

So without ever have received an email of shipping date, I surprisingly and finally received my Glowforge. I wish they could have sent me a tracking email, I’ve been checking everyday, since the day they said I was next. I had no clue, till the day it got here! (SMH) … So now I am setting it up, and it came with no Instruction Manual. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: So I referred to the PDF format manual. Everything now is set up, and I am trying to connect to my Wifi, it found my laser, but it does nothing more from that point. I have this weird clicking sound every 30 seconds and the camera is stuck to the left of my machine. It also made this flash. I read someone else had this problem. Anyone else? … feeling worried, don’t want to have to send this back, without even having it for 5 min. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

The first time you set it up, it is going to take a long time to calibrate - it’s loading and installing the updates to bring it up to speed.

Don’t get into a hurry, it might take half an hour or so. Don’t turn it off, and don’t worry about the clicking…it’s supposed to do that. (It also takes a few pictures - the flashing.)

6 Likes

Also, give this a try:

5 Likes

There’s clicking and there’s thumping. If it is clicking, it’s just moving the focusing apparatus inside the head up and down. If it is thumping while driving the head into the left or right, it’s confused about where the head is. You work around that issue by:

• Turn off your Glowforge (important to avoid damaging your unit)
  • Open the lid and with two hands gently move the gantry to the center
  • gently move the laser head to the center (try not to touch the window on the side)
  • Close the lid and turn the Glowforge back on
5 Likes

Mine was delivered to my office earlier this week, and I just brought it home today. Haven’t set it up yet as I’ve been busy with holiday and family stuff. Hopefully, yours is just going through a series of updates, and you’ll start your cutting and engraving soon.

2 Likes

@ziracheta, have you had a chance to try what @markwal recommended?

If that doesn’t solve the issue, it’s also possible that your Wi-Fi signal isn’t staying strong. We have a troubleshooter here.

1 Like

Please feel free to ask any questions. Folks are always here to help you out. Congrats. Sorry it’s a mess up, but at least you got a Glowforge in 2017!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your input. It helped and I’m up and running. Yay!

Now to figure out how to save projects I designed, so i can reprint if ever needed. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Much-requested feature, “It’s in the hopper.” Meaning they might implement it sooner or later, but we don’t know when it will show up.

1 Like

Oh Wow! :confounded: You mean to tell me SAVE JOB was not an important feature!? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:slightly_smiling_face::+1:Thank you Sir!

In most cases it’s really not. 99+% of your job is done in your design application. Sure, it’s a real pain if you’ve got some amazing design that has more than a handful of steps. But otherwise it’s not a big deal. Obviously saving the whole job is something most of us want, however. No matter how many steps, it would be a time-saver.

4 Likes

In my case it is. I’ve used a Trotec machine to cut/engrave earrings I designed. I would cut at least 30 pairs at a time. The SAVE JOB would “save” me a whole lot of time. Trotec saves jobs in a print queue with settings to your material. A big plus! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great - glad you’re printing and I’m happy to say that Autosave is happening: https://glowforge.com/latest-improvements/autosave

2 Likes