I ordered some materials from the GF shop about 2 weeks ago, but I have not received any shipping confirmation or tracking info

i haven’t actually done it yet!

one combo i really want to try is maple and palmwood, where the maple brings out the light flecks in the palmwood. i only have on 3x24 piece of palmwood, so i’ll have to do something small w/only a 3" piece.

That would be a nice combo.
I wonder if you could make the box out of maple, and then have the palmwood as a little inset tray that kind of floats in the top of the inside of the box? That way, it would be shallow, and you could probably get multiples out of that one piece you have.

2 Likes

I ordered a pile of proof grade materials on April 19th, and have heard nothing from Glowforge outside of an order confirmation.
4 emails to support, no replies. No idea when or if my shipment is going out. Not happy.

Yeah, I’ve ordered from Inventables twice and both times, something has been on back order.

Do you like the quality of what you ordered and the price? Can you point me in the direction?

My last Proofgrade order was on April 25, and it arrives yesterday, May 1. I’m in Mississippi, so it is not very long from their facility in Nashville, TN.

And the glass green acrylic looks really cool! I ordered a couple of pieces of it and I really like the look of it.

“We’re delighted to receive your order, which we’ve assigned #R092418613. We’re working right now to get it packaged and sent for you just as soon as we possibly can. It shouldn’t take long - most orders leave the building in two days or less - and we’ll send you another email update as soon as we’ve shipped it to you. If you’ve signed up for UPS My Choice, you may also receive shipping notifications from them.”

1 is sufficient…they will get to it, but it just took a week for me to get a reply from Support.

1 Like

Hmmm… Since Glowforge hasn’t hired enough Support people to provide answers in a timely fashion, lets go ahead and send three more. That will help everyone. (yeah, I know… sarcasm is for people with limited ideas, sorry.)

1 Like

ha ha. Just to be clear, I was saying that one support email is sufficient.

2 Likes

Oh, I know you were just helping. I was randomly beating my head against the wall.

1 Like

Same here ordered on the 19th. My twist is I have a shipping confirmation email and a tracking number. When I try to track it UPS says" A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status–including the scheduled delivery date–will be updated." That was on the 25th. Emailed support but got the “its going to take a while for a human to talk to you” response. Frustrated is the politest word for it.

well, i just ordered some for a work event.

maybe it will show up in time? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

thankfully i have a backup plan. it just won’t look as nice.

1 Like

I think a back up plan is very wise indeed. At least this has prompted me to venture forth and explore the options of other sources of material… Good luck.

2 Likes

It’s the stuff from Woodpeckers. I’ve never had an issue but a couple of people have mentioned some issues with warping. My orders are no worse than PG - need magnets to hold it down but don’t think I’ve had any where a corner might be raised as much as an 1/8th of an inch.

it’s $60 delivered for 45 12x12 (11.75"x11.75") B/BB grade. They also have larger & thicker options. I try to keep a box on hand and realized Sunday that the one I was going to use was a box of 1/4" sheets for a project designed for 1/8" :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013NT3OAC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

i’m one of those who’s mentioned the warping.

box #1: great
box #2: not so great. lots of clips/magnets holding it down. normally that works, but sometimes you have enough warp in the middle it’s awkward. but it’s also a lot more difficult to assemble a box if there is too much warp. the finger joints don’t line up well.

i’d probably try another box at some point.

I buy a box every month or so for my laser class. I get one of the 12x24" every couple of months or so. I live in CT so not sure if there’s a locality induced environmental humidity issue for others. I like Amazon because I can kick something back and get a refund with almost zero effort and I’d do that if I had an issue with this stuff.

i probably should have/would have, but i needed to use it the next day.

*sigh

this was the same time that i got the big batch of PG cherry ply that didn’t have the normal smooth finish on it as well. it turned out well anyway, but murphy’s law was definitely in effect.

1 Like

aaaaaaaand after all of that, I ordered some more PG ply and a sheet of the green glass today. Only ordered once (didn’t press the button twice).

I got four emails. two with separate order numbers and two with separate receipts with the same order twice.

*sigh

1 Like

I’ve bought that exact same box of 12"×12" baltic birch from Woodpeckers. Nearly all the sheets are noticeably warped (some severely warped) whereas all my Proofgrade has arrived perfectly flat.

But the warped plywood is good enough for most things. Magnets aren’t strong enough to keep the badly warped sheets flat but @eljefe4’s pins get the job done.

2 Likes

If you’re doing tight fits with your wood, be warned that black palm wants to split on the grain, more than most other woods I’ve tried. It is a fairly tricky wood to use.

1 Like

thanks. i’m sure i have some lessons to learn there. it definitely feels very different than most wood.

I’d dig up my settings but you can probably dial it in just as quickly as I can find them.

I think I’m glad I’m still getting an error trying to process my PG order :slightly_smiling_face: