In line fans

to everyone who has posted about in line fans: thank you, thank you. I just installed one this am (unit based on someone’s recommendation) and I love it. I now can start up my machine at 6 am without fear of disturbing neighbors!

14 Likes

Great! Huge noise reduction. Which fan did you get?

1 Like

from Amazon

7 Likes

I swear the folks at Vivosun are like “I don’t know boss, but the total unit sales have doubled in the last 3 months!” :smiley:

11 Likes

Yeah, I think I’m about to do the same…I have an incredibly short run (about 1.5-2’), but I’m also working on my laptop right next to the :glowforge: while it’s cutting bigger jobs and the noise reduction for such a small price is too tough to pass up!

3 Likes

Mine just had its first birthday but I think I paid $35 dollars for it :frowning:

2 Likes

LOL! I believe it.

I just got this unit as well, with the intent to do as you did. However, beyond the obvious “put it in the middle of the exhaust duct,” how did you mount it? Where, in relation to the GF, does it sit? Do you have to screw it down to something? (I work long hours, and the fan is still sitting in its box on my worktable, and I have not had a chance to even look at it sideways)

Here’s a video showing my set-up - I put it at the end of my hose and cut this out to slide into my window

Best ~20 minutes I’ve spent in a long time!

2 Likes

1 Like

Mine sits on the floor and I move it around depending on where I’m venting. I’ve also had it propped on a couple of boxes when I was venting out a window further away from the machine.

I think the built-in fan is somewhere around 200CFM. Ideally, you’d want an external fan that’s at least as high if not higher CFM. I don’t remember the brand I bought, but I spent a fair amount of time searching for the highest CFM 4" fan I could find and ended up with one that’s 250CFM, but it’s also variable speed and goes 150CFM at the low end. I run the internal fan and auxiliary at the same time. The only odor I get when the GF is running is what leaks out of the fan itself (none of these in line fans are particularly well sealed. I actually took mine apart and glopped RTV in to all the seams and through-holes. It was especially leaky around the junction box where the power cord attaches).

1 Like

FYI, somewhere in the filter threads, they state specifically not to do this… YMMV

The joy, for me, of the inline fan is the lessening of the noise, and I’ve had no issues or leaking running my 195CFM fan with the internal turned off - and I finally installed it because others have been running the same fan for a year or so.

I thought that was only if the booster fan runs at higher cfm than the internal fan? I run mine both too, but maybe I’ll turn off the internal fan and see what happens.

1 Like

Which theirs does per their description - but yeah, try it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I guess it helps when I read ALL the words :rofl:

1 Like

Holy :cow: ! Just finished setting up the 4" Vivosun fan and doing my first cut/print now. It is a MAJOR reduction in noise. I expected a reduction, but not this much-very pleased! Better update that :cow: to a Holy :poop:

4 Likes

Wasn’t aware of that. I haven’t had a problem, but I could maybe see how it could be a problem. If the fan is powered and over-spun (goes faster than the voltage applied to the motor would allow absent the external suction).

The CFM of my external fan is only a little higher than the GF and it’s at the end of 8+ feet of ducting (my GF is in the basement and I exhaust through a casement window). All it’s doing is reducing the pressure in the duct a bit so the flow moves a bit easier/faster.

1 Like

I agree. I just went into stealth mode with an inline fan this week. I think I might have cried a little (haha) when I changed the setting and ran my first job. Stunned and humbled by the experience!!! DO THIS MOD AND CHANGE YOUR LASER LIFE FOR THE BETTER!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just order mine. Had to get one before the rest of you bought them all!

2 Likes