Inking acrylic

Very nice! Keep contributing, we’d like to see what you are doing!

1 Like

Welcome and thanks for the ideas :bulb:

1 Like

Great thinking! I will definitely try this.

1 Like

Cool!

Welcome to the forum! :sunglasses:
Glad you decided to join in. Judging from a posted link that has been clicked 90+ times but reflects 2 likes, there is a massive contingency of lurkers out there. Too bad, the strength of the forum is participation.
Thanks! We’ve been waiting for you. :thumbsup:

So you have a laser already?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve already learned tons from the forum and am now realizing that I have things to add to the conversation too!

I’m so excited to get my Glowforge because I don’t currently have a laser but I send my work to a place called Mile High Workshop here in Denver. They have a laser and CNC/wood shop and a sew shop where they train people who have barriers to employment (i.e. they have criminal convictions, face homelessness, have had substance abuse problems or a myriad of other things) to use the machines so that they have a source of income/employment and also have skills that they can rely on for employment through the rest of their life. And their goal as a business is to help small business owners here in Denver be able to source that sort of manufacturing so that the business owners can focus on growth and other important factors rather than producing and fulfilling things all day every day. So, it’s a double-edged sword because I looooooove working with them and feel like my small business is giving back to the community but at the same time their laser has limitations and I also want to have more room to play and explore new ideas, designs and materials with my own machine.

I’m not totally sure what kind of laser they have now but I’ve used them to bring some of my acrylic and baltic birch ideas to life.

For background, I have a business that sells hand-lettered goods so I’ve mostly done basic things like keychains, Christmas ornaments and hanging wall banners with their laser so far.

11 Likes

Thanks for the insight.
Another Denver metro 'forge - Sweet! :sunglasses: I’m down south in Lone Tree.
We would love to see some examples of your work, the Show and Tell thread is packed with great ideas from the creative people here.

2 Likes

I made a scale! It came out pretty darn good, IMO. Here’s a photo, but I also have at least an hour of video and screen recordings that showed the process of making it. Like… the whole process. From drawing it in Rhino to powering on and focusing the laser to doing a series of test cuts to get the cut speed to measuring and compensating for the kerf to cutting it and then verifying that it’s “close” to accurate. (it’s ~0.12mm short “longways” and um… a little too big in the short direction). It’ll take me a while to edit the video and upload it to cyber.

19 Likes

I for one am looking forward to seeing the process. Anything to get a jump start on figuring out how to use a laser!

3 Likes

Sweet!!

Seriously… one of the screen recordings was 26+ minutes… It might literally be over an hour of video. :blush:

Quick disclaimer: I only reviewed one recording, and that was one to make sure the audio is working. I sure hope it’s decent quality…

edited later…
Here’s the thread I started with the video…

2 Likes

there is a small part of me that wants to watch the unedited. Just to experience the whole thing…and then I realize I don’t REALLY want to watch over an hour of video

2 Likes

Great to see you here! I’m also near you, in Louisville. Hopefully we’ll see you at a GFUG (Glowforge Users Group) meeting after December.

3 Likes

Was just thinking about a Front Range meetup (FRGFUG?)! It will be great to meet and share with other 'forgers. I’m in Erie, btw.

2 Likes

While not acrylic, but ceramic, this was actually sandblasted with vinyl mask and then enamel paint before removing the (fun to weed) mask.

13 Likes

Another option - similar to the “wax color” someone mentioned earlier is to use rub-n-buff. I’ve used it on engraved (albeit sand blasted engraving) glass and it colors the area well. That said, the problem that since it is “wax based” and if on a non-porus material, it can come off if excessively handled or washed. I’ve done shot glasses using this method but the color won’t last through washing’s ( which I was aware of). I’ve done Xmas (glass) ornaments using the rub and buff and some people swore it was vinyl on the glass until they realized they could not feel any “lip”.

2 Likes

Plus there is the added benefit of not having to remove the masking paper’s tiny bits and pieces if you are using a small font.

1 Like

Man, I was late to the game so I won’t be getting my Glorwforge until the second round of shipments but I would TOTALLY be up for a meet up!

1 Like

I was going to post some examples buttttt most of my work has curse words in it and I really didn’t want to offend anyone. But I might try to find some non-offensive photos to post.

5 Likes

Good call

2 Likes

That settles it. I am super intrigued now. :smile:

3 Likes