International Shipping Latest

I was going to do this but if there’s warranty issues, I don’t want to have another six hour drive just to ship it back.

Awesome. My delivery date has moved again. By 15 days this time.

We may as well resign ourselves to expect nothing this year either.

Happy ( not so much ) third birthday from Canada!
On this day in 2015 I have paid for a GlowForge.
Yes this is 36 months!

3 Likes

Nov. 15 here too…

Yes, Now 2019 for us as well. :cry: I think the date has been bumped at least three time now, and by well over 6 months. The first group of students that we first discovered this with and were looking forward to sharing the experience with are now long-gone I’m afraid. I’ve given up telling our staff ‘it’s coming’ because… …well, is it?

2 Likes

Still at Nov. 15. Dare we dream that we’ll get a shipping notice in two weeks?

I have my fingers crossed.

Okay question for some of you that have been involved with import/shipping into Canada. I was looking into how I could self-clear my Glowforge because I know that FedEx will charge a FORTUNE for this service. The only information I can find is self-clearing items that are worth $2,500 or less (low value shipments). I cannot find any information about clearing packages worth more than that. Does anyone know if it’s possible? Or am I going to be stuck with an enormous charge from FedEx?

Canadian Border Services Agency confirmed to me that as a casual importer, I could self-clear. Now I’m just trying to figure out if I can do it prior to release or if I have to refuse the delivery and do it then.

2 Likes

If you find out the details, please post it. As a fellow Canadian I just got my shipping notice for my Glowforge.

5 Likes

You got a notice?! Was it pro or basic that you ordered?

Is it finally happening for all of us?!

Would also love to know how to clear…

1 Like

I have not gotten a notice. My date is still Nov. 15 (I just checked!)…which is creeping closer. I ordered a Basic.

@tauyeung, here is what Canadian Border Services Agency sent me in response to my inquiry:

As a casual importer, you may have the option of refusing brokerage services offered by a courier company and choose instead to self-clear the casual goods directly with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

Casual goods are defined by the CBSA as goods imported into Canada other than commercial goods. Commercial goods are defined by the CBSA as goods imported into Canada for sale or for any commercial, industrial, occupational, institutional or other like use.

For casual goods clearance you may encounter one of the two following scenarios:

Self-clearance prior to release

If you advise the courier of your intention to self-clear casual goods prior to CBSA releasing them, the courier is required to issue a cargo control document for the shipment. You must provide this cargo control document (original or photocopy), an invoice, or other documents required to the CBSA office responsible for release to account for these goods. This CBSA office of release is the office which has local operational control of the geographical area where the goods are located (in the same city). It is important to note that in these circumstances, the goods have not yet been released from CBSA’s control. As such, the goods are still subject to examination at the bonded warehouse where the goods are being held.

Self-clearance after release

If you did not advise the courier before the attempted delivery of the shipment, you may refuse delivery at your door and advise the courier of your intention to self-clear. You must record the unique shipment identifier number(shipment tracking number) which is the number the courier assigns each shipment. You must provide the CBSA with the unique shipment identifier number, an invoice, or other documents required to present an accounting document. It is important to note that in these circumstances the goods have already been reported and released by CBSAunder the account security of the courier and are considered domestic goods. They are no longer subject to CBSA examination or control. The importer is simply completing the final accounting and payment of duties and taxes instead and thereby removing the final payment liability from the courier. In this scenario the accounting can be completed at any CBSA office where clearance services are offered.

A directory of CBSA offices can be found on our website at:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/do-rb/menu-eng.html

Please be aware that a courier may not provide a self-clearance option (transmitting shipment information documents, etc.) after CBSA releases and returns the shipment to the sender. Please check with your courier for further details.

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” at any time after you have made a selection of either English or French.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

2 Likes

So the next question is whether or not I can self-clear prior to release. I think I’m going to need the FexEx tracking number in order to call them and inquire. I’m in Calgary…I haven’t been able to determine if the CBSA office at the airport allows for self-clearance prior to release or if I’ll have to refuse the delivery and then go clear. Either way, I’m happy. I just got dinged $10 in brokerage fees for a $20 book from the US, so I can just imagine what the fees would be on a Glowforge.

2 Likes

I ordered a basic – although I suspect it shouldn’t matter at this point…

Hey cool – I’m in Calgary too

oooo so happy to hear that we’re getting our notices
I hope I don’t have to wait much longer for mine.

1 Like

Has anyone outside of the US actually received thier GF?

Deliveries to the EU countries earlier this year.

I’m in Canada, was Nov 15th up until yesterday, as of today it’s changed to Feb 28th 2019!!!

Any other Canadian’s confirm this? Another 3 1/2 month delay!?

I have been sitting waiting patiently but figured this time was for sure, even cleared a spot for it! Now it’s just getting crazy!

B

1 Like