Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

Excellent. I’ve been looking at the handles available on Amazon and they’re fairly cheap in Maple, but I’m having fun making sawdust in addition to engraving.

I can see where you’d be popular once you set this up and can do custom work. :slight_smile:

VERY nice job! I love that wood.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s just a (really beat up) pine 2x4. I always loved the look of pine and it’s very forgiving. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The maple handles usually come heavily coated with polyurethane. That means you can engrave them and just wipe off the smoke. One problem though. Usually the bar will wipe handles nightly with a wet rag and cleaner. Eventually the dark engravings are washed out. I had to wipe a dark acrylic paint into the engravings. It easily rubs off the poly too.

3 Likes

Great to know. Thank you. I was thinking about the durability of the dark engraving, figuring it would become lighter over time. The test on pine was interesting in that the large graphic area didn’t come out as dark as the text. Weird, They used the same setting and colors (I verified).

Is there a favorite wood type for the handles? Maple seems plentiful and one can hardly go wrong with it when engraving.

I like the idea of just doing a dark paint fill. That was part of one of my ideas to explore too. I’m glad to know it’s a well tested process from you now.

Don’t want to further hijack the topic.

Maple. But use acrylic paint. Oil paints will wick up the grain. Anything further I will discuss PM.

4 Likes

I got the email a few weeks ago that my glowforge was enabled for Snapmark, but I never saw the Magnet icon. I checked the old defective machines that I had to send back in the GFUI, and glowforge number 3 has the magnet link. So, I guess I wait like everyone else, as my current machine, No. 4, isn’t enabled. BOOOOOoooooo.

1 Like

Snapmarks are still off even in Chrome.

Updating original post with more info.

What did you use for a material height?

I used .003”. I also tried placing the printout on top of Med PG draftwood.
Same result. I haven’t tried scoring the snapmarks directly on PG material but I suspect it will be the same. I may or may not try that tomorrow.

I hope you haven’t missed the Cupcake and coffee time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Somewhere up above is a wiki @Jules made to let the Snapmark support folks know when the feature has been enabled on the wrong machine. They got mine moved to my current machine pretty quickly–no idea if it was actually because of the wiki, but it certainly can’t hurt to add yourself to the list!

2 Likes

Thanks Ruth, that’s post #202:

@bonnySnapmark_Beta_-_Pencil_Tutorial_1px.svg.zip (1.2 KB)
Tried Medium PG Draftboard - the same results.
I set the snapmark to Score using default setting, set the pencil jig to score with lowest setting.
Pressed the button and let the GF do it’s thing, when completed I moved the jig to a different location. Hit the magnet and it snaps. I changed the score on the snapmarks to the lowest setting and ran again. The score of the snapmark and the pencil jig are both off just like in my original tests.
I had to modify the file so that the jig would fit onto my piece of scrap but I doubt that changed anything.

Started testing at 12:19pm PDT.
Using Chrome.

I can’t stop checking the updates to this thread even though it pains me because I still don’t have this feature. Day 1 purchase, tons of use on the machine, and have never had to send my Pro back… If I complain about my just over 1/4" alignment issue will that help? I’m used to it and can pretty much eyeball the alignment offset, but still… its super frustrating to see a bunch of decommissioned machines getting picked to have the feature rather than one that hasn’t had any real issues.

3 Likes

Not sure who’s machine it was that got enabled but I am thinking it was supposed to be mine. :thinking:

1 Like

I thought the whole thing was based on a “machine profile”, but this seems to imply that its based on a user and can just be added to whatever machine they currently have? Pretty confused, but mostly just :disappointed_relieved:

My understanding is that the team doing this is looking at their database of calibration data and knocking off the easiest ones first. Some of those machines had been returned and replaced. To me, the sad parts are that they aren’t eliminating returned machines from their pool of potentials and that they are notifying people snap marks were added when they were actually added to machines sitting in the refurb pile.

1 Like

Ditto. :smiley: Would also be nice to also know if we have one of the ‘bad’ data machines and may also be limited or late to other future beta’s. :thinking:

I am right there with you. Sigh…