Is the blast gate open?

Mineā€™s just before the window vent. Since the vent has a flap, itā€™s technically dual-gated, but I just didnā€™t trust the little flappy thing on the vent to keep air out.

1 Like

Can I ask the official name of the blast gate for ordering purposes? I need one.

ā€œBlast gateā€ is a generally recognized name. There are many available. This happens to be the one I have, but there are others that are just as good. Just be sure to get the diameter you need. 4" and 6" are the most common, but there are others. I have a 6", because I have a 6" in line fan. If you are using the built in GF exhaust fan and the hose GF provided, you would use a 4" blast gate.

3 Likes

Do you mind sharing the design? I am using a sticky note right now.

Right click the illustration under the text in the original post and save image as svg to your computer.

2 Likes

What a nice inventive way to remind yourself!

1 Like

Thatā€™s just gorgeous! Now Iā€™ve got to make one.

1 Like

Hereā€™s my way of telling myself to open the blast gate. I just reduced Daveā€™s original plan to make a miniature blast gate to cover the start button.

Start Button Reminder

15 Likes

Thatā€™s adorable!!

1 Like

Blast Doors

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing myself, lol.

vent button

7 Likes

Hello all! New to GF, but not so new to cutting stuff; I have a CNC plasma table. SVG files are kinda new to me, as well, and I would love to cut Linefeedā€™s version. How do I get the SVG file, please? Still looking. If it is available. Thanks!

Welcome to the community. It doesnā€™t appear that he offered his file free to others here. If he sees your post, he may comment on that. As a rule, we arenā€™t allowed to ask for files. If someone chooses to offer theirs, it would be in this category or for sale in an online store that is linked in their profile.

2 Likes

OK, got ya, I fully understand. Thank you for clarifying that!

EDIT Now I remember why I thought it was shared. It is in the ā€œFree laser Designsā€ section. A lot of the plasma pages are the same, tho. Asking for files is frowned on; offered is different. Anyway, thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went back and looked, but I think I made something else right after I cut that out - without actually saving it. Unfortunately itā€™s not in my saved designs, or Iā€™d be happy to share itā€¦

No worries! Thanks for the reply, tho. I drew one up, but the spacing was all wrong. I will do something else. Thanks again!

This might help :slight_smile:

or

1 Like

Well, bless your heart! I am pretty sure that I could have gotten that (after burning up all my material, JUST KIDDINGā€¦:slight_smile:

Anyway, thank you sooo much. Very kind of you. I will add my own twist on it, for sure! Thanks again!! Bill

1 Like

I have a weirder problem, when I first got me real Glowforge after the PRU days, I had installed a 4ā€ Louvered outlet onto my deck (people freak out that I am venting ā€œlaser exhaustā€ where people might be seated, but somehow the 3 fire pits are just fine?? Anyways the way our house is built the opening is only a few inches above the deck to get a clear space to the basement room where the laser lives. I noticed the first few times that I ran it the house would smell of exhaust, and since this was right after PRU days none of us had much experience. So I ran through the usual exchanging hoses, hose clamps and all the usual tricks for exhaust leaks. I then at someoneā€™s suggestion put an anemometer onto the exhaust and it was putting out 95% of the expected flow (presumably some losses in the pipe, louvres and elbows). We finally traced the problem back to the inlet for the hood on our stove which sits about a foot away to the side. What we realized is the cold air is siphoned into the un-louvered hood hose and pulled into the house that way, as it only happened when it was cold outside. So the solution is to put the hood on 1, where it it barely audible and barely moving air, but just enough that the air movement is to the outdoors. Problem solved.

Oh and Iā€™m the idiot who didnā€™t think about mounting the exhaust 3ā€ above the deck in a place that routinely gets 6-12ā€ of snow at a time (nor did the contractor either)ā€¦ :roll_eyes::man_facepalming:, so thatā€™s on my snowstorm mental checklist to shovel a square foot around the exhausts (it actually does OK if the snow isnā€™t super wet, and since it is pumping the heat from our basement it does slowly melt a hole for itself.

7 Likes