IT FINALLY CAME :))))..... but can’t run it bc vent issues

Hey y’all! I just got my Glowforge and it looks really cool but right now it’s a glorified paper weight as I need some help with ventilation the only spot safe enough to run this machine is in the basement right next to the windows! Does anybody have any ideas how I can vent this out the window without it coming back into the window from the wind blowing it back???

Lots of ideas. But every window is different. What type of window? A picture would be helpful to those that have installed unique solutions.

2 Likes

Welcome. If you search the forum you will find years worth of venting discussions and examples as well as some files for cutting your own blast gates and vent solutions.

1 Like

Please see attached! Appreciate any help !

We use a window similar to the second picture. What we did was cut a piece of acrylic the size of the window and installed it as an external glass window(with weatherstripping and sealed with the window tape). We cut a 4" hole in it and installed a product called the Original Dryer Dock(google it, it should come right up.) Then, when we use the GF, we open the window, install the hose to the dryer dock, and cut away. When finished, we unhook the hose and close the window.

If I were not at work, I’d attach a picture, but it has worked pretty well.

2 Likes

Your shared picture will be very helpful and I am sure users with similar setups will provide detailed assistance. In the meantime, have a look through some of these posts to see if anything strikes a cord. I know you are excited to get your Glowforge operational, and we are anxious to see what you do with it. https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=venting%20basement

2 Likes

I’ll take a look!!! Thank you !!!

1 Like

That slider in the first pic makes it super easy to drop something in the open window. Here is my solution with things I had on hand. I also have some pics of connectors that are available at the hardware store.

Here is a nice setup that is smaller.

1 Like

I’d use this

in Window#1.

That’s what I bought. Works great. Quick to put in and take out as needed. Window just closes on top of it and I’m ready to go.

2 Likes

If you select a solution from the many examples here in the forum make sure to have a vent (usually a dryer style vent) with a simple gravity flap. It’s closed when not running which will keep out cold air and the GF fans provide sufficient air pressure to push open the flap.

Thank you all so much! i cannot believe how amazing you all are!! its nice to see people out there still wanting to teach the non experienced

3 Likes

I had to move mine temporarily while we prepare for a cross-country move, so instead of venting into the bathroom vent system it is currently in a spare bedroom with the hose stuck out the window. I’m actually having LESS smell from it now than when it had a proper ventilation system. So while you’re getting it all figured out, go ahead and stick the hose out the window as-is, and work through the First Three Cuts. I’m betting it will be just fine!

I’m so sorry you ran into trouble during setup. It looks like your Glowforge is connected and you’ve been able to print since contacting us. It’s great to see that the advice which other community members provided helped you to find a solution for your exhaust. Thanks folks!

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble again, or have any questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help.