It’s 5pm PST on my email day. Please don’t let me down

Pro emails have moved past basics now in terms of order day although deliveries are still a long way behind.

1 Like

Dumb question, but it has been so long I cannot remember. What was the first day of orders? I ordered 10/20 and seem to remember being day 24, is that right? I am getting old haha

1 Like

@dave2 10/20 is Day 27.

Thanks!

That would make Sept 24th ground zero?

Yes, Sept 24th 2015 was Day 1

I wonder if that pace will continue. My latest Basic estimate is Nov 27 (Day 24 order) - at this rate, they could very well be “shipping” Pro units ordered after the 30-day campaign by then.

If that happens, and there are non campaign pro units shipping before I get my campaign basic unit, I will be severely disappointed, rather than just really, really, really, really disappointed.

Seems likely to happen in at least a few cases. I’m sure they’re aiming to have the production lines basically hit the run rate of the expected order mix, but the granularity of that decision is almost certainly in lumps of more than one unit so they’ll ship what they’ve got to people who want them rather than hold them until somebody else gets a different thing.

So they’re probably aiming for it not to be very many, but it seems to be very likely at this point. Not to mention international pre orders who will definitely have non campaign orders go out before their country gets their first unit of any sort.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure you’re correct. I’m still having issues understanding why they don’t have two lines making two models simultaneously. Maybe I missed that explanation. They’re current process of one model at a time doesn’t seem very efficient. It must be very hard for them to find competent people if they are building at max speed and are still this far behind. They haven’t really seemed to have scaled up production much at all since September.

I think max speed is limited by how much capacity they’ll need on an ongoing basis after pre-orders are fulfilled. They probably don’t want to over build capacity by too much and then be stuck with the expense of winding it back down.

1 Like

Of course, they’re probably over capacity already. I meant the don’t want to over build by too much.

They’re also a relatively low volume operation which also creates some logistical problems with part sourcing since some of their suppliers probably have “more important” customers.

There is very little difference between the two models, just a few different parts like the tube the case and the motors, so I don’t understand why they can’t rapidly switch between them and stick to the order sequence. They seem to make big batches of one followed by big batches of the other. Why can’t they do a day on one and a day of the other?

It has always seemed like batch production and procurement rather than continuous flow-line production, which is a faster way to make large quantities.

I thought the motors were the same. Only differences are the tube, optics, pass-through slot (yeah, I realize it’s just a different door and slot in the back), and the cooling system.

Maybe have a different power supply for the higher wattage tube and cooling system?

Does it need additional calibration or checks before leaving the factory since it’s a class 4 laser?

Pro Speed

Glowforge Pro units can already cut about 15% faster than Basic units, thanks to the more powerful laser tube and improved optics. As we sourced parts for production, we made another improvement: we upgraded key components of the linear system of the Pro model. In the future, we’ll update the software to unlock even faster movements. You’ll see the head move more quickly during startup, scores, and engraves, resulting in even speedier prints.

I can’t find any specific mention of motors but what other key components of the linear system would make it go faster? Bigger pulleys? The motion system is only motors plus pulleys, belts, wheels, bearings and rails that I can think of. None of those limit speed.

It cuts faster because of the higher wattage of the tube, not speed of motors.

Dan has said there are more powerful motors in the pro

1 Like

Now both are out we just need two people to volunteer the part numbers. Higher torque motors of the same frame size are usually longer.

Thanks. I was going by this statement by Dan.

But I guess the higher wattage tube plus cooling system weighs a little more, so need a little more oomph to move?

1 Like

He said it in one of the announcements somewhere. Dont remember which month though, but I know it was after may

I remember reading the same thing. However, I just did a search of the forum for “motor Pro” and there was no result that popped up in Dan’s postings that said this. Maybe, we mis-remembered or that post was deleted?