Jig, focusing, flasks and frustration

This is my biggest challenge with the GF as well. It’s damn near impossible for me to get consistent, repeatable results without being able to manually set the zero point. the same job using the same file and the same jig NEVER turns out the same…NEVER. I am so frustrated with this machine.

Have you run the camera calibration?

I created a simple test file (just the GF logo) a few years ago. I scored it onto a piece of material that seated into the lower-left corner of the tray. I removed the material and the tray, replaced them, and scored it again, and you could not tell it had been scored twice other than being darker. I kept that piece and tested it again a few months ago to prove a point, possibly over two years later, and it still did not even show signs of being printed more than once other than darkening up a bit more.

My tray seats in precisely the same location every time when you wiggle it into its natural center, and the head is stunningly accurate. The only issue now is my tube is failing, but after 5 years, I’m not complaining.

Sorry for your frustration. Are you using the set focus before placing your artwork? Are you watching to make sure the red beam lands squarely on your material at the point you intend to place your artwork? If you are using a jig, how are you insuring that you place the jig in the same place everytime?

That’s the challenge, there is no way to cut the jig, remove the crumb tray and then replace the jig in the same place. And you can’t cut the jig with the crumb tray out because it’s not high enough. There needs to be a thinner crumb tray solution.

Cut the jig with the crumb tray out. Simply elevate your jig material with risers such as these:
X-Risers or have a look at this thread: Grid jig to make another jig

3 Likes

Thank you! Those X-Risers are exactly what I need.

1 Like

Still can’t get reliable results. Can someone point me to a video showing a multi unit flask jig in use?

What size are your flasks and how many do you wish to do at once?

They’re the 6 oz leatherette flasks from JDS/Johnson Plastics.

They’re approximately 3.75" square (minus the spout) and are about 1" thick.

Ideally I would like to do 4-6 at a time.

Presuming you have run the calibration routine, you can cut out a sheet of proofgrade with the pieces arranged as needed and just for grins engrave an x in the middle somewhere. Then you can make some structure that will hold the flasks so they fit in the holes and the piece you cut will all be in the range ~1.65" above the floor without the tray.

With everything in place you can use the set focus by picking the engraved x two or more times till that same x in your design is directly above it (you might have to nudge the design about after each time to place it to align with the x, and then run set focus again). (That original cut now set to ignore)

When Set Focus no longer changes anything your design will be perfectly aligned and it will engrave the rest correctly.

1 Like

When you created your test file, how many logos(L to R)/rows(T to B), did you setup? I have been trying to make one but I’m just not sure about the number of logos/positions and I really can’t afford to waste material. TIA