Jigsaw puzzle generator

This is wonderful – thank you!

1 Like

Oh, very nice indeed! It looks like you made them extra sturdy by coating with Mod Podge or something similar. I really like the clean edges, too!

Playing around with photo, chipboard, and mod podge right now. At least more more coat, the making sure everything is as flat as possible before applying a puzzle.

2 coats of modpodge.
I tried different masking and ultimately decided that I liked no masking that I own.
You can clean smoke stains off mod podge with alcohol. Don’t soak or anything- just use a paper towel dipped in rubbing alcohol
Finally, I opted for a coat of matte spray finish.
I really like the result.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for this! I found another generator that I tried, but it turned out that all of the tabs and blanks were identical, so any tab on any piece would fit into any blank on any other piece. It allowed for them to be used as a kind of 2D building set for my kids, but it wasn’t ideal as a puzzle. This one looks like you’ve got some more randomness involved, which is really nice!

Thank you. I’ve been drawing a puzzle in Autocad, kind of by hand. I just don’t like the repetitive nature of the generators. Yours looks like there are less repeats than some others. I’ve got another couple weeks in theory before my GF arrives, so plenty of time to noodle out a one off puzzle vector.

My daughter (in college) and her friends do puzzle nights trying to put together hard jigsaws. So I made her one on the GF for Christmas - 600 pieces.

In a 4x6" piece of chipboard :slight_smile: Fingernail sized pieces.

I engraved it with a floor plan of the university library. Figured they’re not likely to have actually spent much time in there so it’s topical but practically unknown to them :smile:

My daughter said they pulled it out for last week’s puzzle night and decided that it would be best to “work up to it”. So they did some normal 1500 piece castle one instead. I’m betting the library one never gets done before they graduate.

5 Likes

My girlfriend and I have been doing a puzzle a week. We both grew up with Grandparents that loved puzzles. I was late for work this morning because of a puzzle. I can’t wait to sell custom puzzles to people. I think they’ll be a hit.

3 Likes

This is what i’ve been looking for. Has anyone found additional puzzle creators? I love this one.

1 Like

This is awesome, thank you for sharing!

what i did was generate one of these, then open it in illustrator and do a little more random “jiggering.” you can do it really simply by selecting multiple random points or lines and moving them slightly. i even used the direct selection tool, dragged it (marquis select) across multiple lines (not points, just the lines), and then nudged the shape of those lines slightly with the arrow keys. that allowed me to make a lot of minor, random adjustments throughout.

1 Like

That is awesome, I looked at the code, it’s a lot smaller than I thought it would be, good coding!

1 Like

Just adding my reply as another person who is going to make great use of this. It is a huge help. Thanks for making it available for us.

2 Likes

Thank You!

I’ve spent some time looking, and this is the best jigsaw generator I’ve found anywhere. Thank you!

14 Likes

Took me a minute to realize that this was not a blurry picture of differing colored die piles.

3 Likes

It was an acrylic print of a random picture I took on my phone when our family went on vacation to Vietnam last year.

10 Likes

How did you attach the photo to the clear acrylic so well? No bubbles, glue, or anything! Looks super clean!

Edit: “an acrylic print”…wait, was it outsourced? And if so, I’ve gotta look into that…

I got the print from bumblejax.com, specifically I got their “acrylic proof” product:
https://www.bumblejax.com/prices/

Obligatory warning: Speaking only for myself. Glowforge can’t speak for this supplier.

Relevant anecdote: I bought the print and asked about the plastics used to see if it was laser compatible. They told me that the backing was plastic X, which was not laser compatible. I was suspicious because it didn’t look like plastic X, and asked them to verify. Turns out they’d just switched to plastic Y which was laser compatible, couldn’t be sure if the switch was permanent, etc. Moral of the story: check and double check laser compatibility with your suppliers!

9 Likes

“100% made in-house in Seattle” well that’s cool :slight_smile: I’m bettin’ the shipping was fast!

1 Like