Just a frame, just an ordinary frame, just trying to get by

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the beautiful share. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

hello, i just received my glow forge and i’m having a hard time trying to save files into inkscape and then seperate them into 3 pieces. any advice on how to do this? youtube isnt really helping lol

It depends on how the file you are working on was created. If the source file does not have grouped obects, this tip won’t help. Click the file in Inkscape and look at the bottom info to see if it says group of 2, 3, 4 etc. objects. If so, click ungroup, then click each section an change the color of that part of the file so you can address it separately in the Glowforge interface.

If you are working on this particular file, right click and save as svg. The file will be zipped (at least it was for me). Click the file frame.svg.zip and you should see frame.svg. Open frame.svg in Inkscape.

1 Like

Great question! This should all cut on one sheet of wood. The post has a jpg of what it looks like, but the svg is buried in the zip. There are many wonderful tutorials on this website if you use the search. This is one of the best communities.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m sure once I’m more familiar with the programs it will be easier.

1 Like

Drinking from the firehose!

1 Like

nice ! Thanks for sharing! Simple is always better!

1 Like

One of my favorites on here is @arh2 ‘s brilliant design Fairytale Generator
Eventually I was able to modify it with Hawaiian words and specific kid names to make a few personalized gifts for our kids and for our neighbors who were deployed to the congo.
I had zero design experience a year ago, now I can knock out my own design projects relatively quickly. It took a couple of days to make my ukulele holder from scratch, and that project, even though the file needs some tlc / cleanup, is the project I am most proud of.
This is such a fun hobby, and this group is the best.

3 Likes

Well, this is the mutual appreciation society! I’ve used a few of @Aloha’s designs as well; notably this one for business cards, which I also adapted to a magnifier lens pocket.

So glad though the Fairytale Generator is still going strong - that is one of my favorite designs too. And I didn’t know how to use Inkscape a year and a half ago either. I remember struggling to draw a rectangle with a circle in it to get a simple keychain.

2 Likes

An ordinary frame (?) yet so impossibly easy to embellish and decorate however you like. Great share, thanks so much @Aloha. Sometimes simple is best!

1 Like

My pleasure. It was such a cool gift. I am
Modifying it to put the top 40 list of things my wife’s parents love about her that was on paper.

2 Likes

Very cool, and I agree simple comes in handy for “thank you” gifts. Thank you!

1 Like

I am glad you like it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cute! Thank you!

1 Like

Just saw this today. Thank you for sharing your file! I can see this one’s going to get used!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is so nice!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. Hope to see your own work soon.

1 Like