Keep going off line

the GF continues to go off line once it tells me all is ready. tried on three computers. so what do I do? I see alot of people have the same issue.

It’s not your computers, it’s the GF’s connection to WIFI. is there signal strong where it’s located?

1 Like

Opening duplicate threads will only slow down staff response. Keep your questions on the same subject to the same P&S thread.

I think you’ll find some helpful person here.

Hello @redbrown02,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge is having some connectivity trouble today.

I extracted some logs from your Glowforge to investigate the issue and it looks like your Glowforge is able to connect successfully to your network, but it may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but you may see an “Offline” message.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

This is a duplicate ticket.

I hit the print button and all it says is downloading and that is where it stays.

saturday the 24th at 11:33 I BEGAN the upload of the friendship. at 12:04 it still had not uploaded. this is as far as the machine goes. chated with internet provider, added a booster and no luck. so what you say

replied but may be in the wrong place. time was 11:30 to start up load. gave up at 12:. date is saturday the 24th. no problem with connection to wifi on pc. pc is 6 inch from the GF

Pc distance has no relation to uploading.

I can share access to my friend 800 miles away and if I hit the GF button, he can print stuff on my machine.

Your pc -> (wire or wireless) router -> internet-> Gf servers hosted by Google -> processes your file then shows it to you in the GFUI(editing space)
when you hit print-> Google server -> internet -> your router -> WiFi to your GF machine

Your pc never talks to the GF after you finish the setup.

Gf has supposedly used a cheap, weak WiFi chip. It can’t handle interference of any kind. It can’t handle dropped packets. It can’t handle being too close to a wireless access point. Obviously it can’t handle being too far, nothing can, but its limitation is greater.

This is why you need to follow supports steps, either here or in your original thread and report back. It’s something in your environment interfering with GF WiFi(for the above reasons). The GF is a special baby and needs special attention that other devices do not.

Hi @redbrown02,

I’ve extracted some data from the last few days of use in order to investigate further. In these logs we have a record of the average signal strength the Glowforge is capturing from the network it’s connected to. On average, this signal strength has been low over the last week, with average strength at around -69dBm as of today.

For more context, on networks with very good signal strength, this will often run closer to -30dBm. A signal strength at -70dBm or lower would be very difficult to stay connected to.

Here’s what I’d like you to do, if you’re still having trouble: please contact your internet service provider, and ask if they’re able to run any diagnostics to measure the performance of your 2.4GHz frequency band. Please explain that you’re having trouble with the connection of one device that only uses 2.4GHz, and our technicians were able to verify successful connections and no dropped packets, but low signal strength (around -69dBm).

There may be an issue with the performance of the 2.4GHz band on your network. Because this band isn’t exclusively used by many devices, the issue might not be seen on other things that are connected to your network.

Please let us know how it goes.

new home on a 5.5acre lot. one acre is cleared and no obstructions from the house to the work shop which is 50’ away. got hughs net which could be part of the problem and now you say they used a cheap wifi. well i paid to much for the GF and work shop to give up. we are looking into a land line. problem for me is it is a new home and no land line to the house and i must pay for that and I am 200’ from the road. so, it aint going to be cheap. got to do what you got to do I suppose.

1 Like

talk to hughs net. not to be a smart ass but talking to them is like talking to a rock. land line in my sights and dropping hughs net

1 Like

TBF, this is the opinion of several who a few years back began a project of reverse engineering the hardware to create an open source software. Don’t believe they’ve gotten much anywhere.

1 Like

Hey @redbrown02, thanks for the update. I’m sorry to hear it is going to be such an ordeal for you. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Since it is going to be a bit until this is resolved, I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If you still find you’re having trouble with connectivity after getting your new service in place please let us know and we’ll be happy to investigate.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!