Laser not firing sometimes

Hello,

I am having an issue when i use any other file besides one of the glow forge app the laser won’t fire the first few tries. If i keep hitting start and stop on it, it will eventually start and work normally on the 5th or 6th try but i can’t get it to just work the first go around. I did the gift of good measure file at 2:06 mountain time and it worked great on the first try. Not sure if I’m something wrong on my own files. I did check the power and it was not on zero.

thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
If the Gift of Good Measure prints perfectly, chances are there is nothing wrong with your Glowfoge.
If you could share your file that isn’t working quite right, or a screenshot of what you are trying to accomplish, someone here can take a look.

2 Likes

Here is one i bought on etsy.

i can get it to work after a couple of tries, so idk if maybe its converting weird

There is something wrong with the word NAME in the file you shared. I know that is a placeholder, but the m and e overlap each other and extend outside of the document.

Without the name (which is text and will not be recognized by the Glowforge interface), your file printed in 12 minutes for me.

What happens if you remove the name placeholder?

2 Likes

Since this is a purchased file, you should remove it now as you probably don’t have permission to share the file.

2 Likes

I also opened it and it looked just fine except as mentioned…about the name being messed up.

1 Like

Once you remove the file in your post above, I will be happy to help you troubleshoot some more. I shouldn’t have asked you to share a purchased file. I didn’t read to the end of your post.

2 Likes

You’re good…she didn’t say that in her post…and you couldn’t have known until she actually posted it.

2 Likes

I have removed it.

Could it be something wrong with my computer or connection?

1 Like

I assume that you want to put names in the ear tag. To do that, you will want to remove the NAME that is there right now. If you have a premium subscription, you can add the name you wish in the interface. If you don’t have the premium subscription, you can type names in any program you wish and save them as pdf files and drag and drop them onto the tag. You can also open this file in Inkscape or some other graphics program and add the text. Glowforge doesn’t process text from other programs, however, so you will need to convert the text to paths.

2 Likes

When you click print, what happens? Do you get the message that your file is being processed? Does the button flash, but pressing it doesn’t get the Glowforge to work?

1 Like

When i hit print it will process it like normal and then the print head will go through the motions but not fire the laser but if i keep trying(hitting print and then cancel) it will work after a few tries. It doesn’t have the NAME lettering when it is in the glowforge app.

Please share the screenshot of your interface after you click print. Is there any chance that you have copied and pasted the file into the interface. If so, is there any chance you have a pasted copy on top of another copy?

2 Likes

Hi @moore.alaynab. I’m sorry to hear that your Glowforge is having trouble printing a purchased design. I’ll be happy to help with any needed troubleshooting.

I reviewed the thread and saw you were getting some great advice from fellow Glowforge owners. Since the Gift of Good Measure test print was able to print without trouble, it helps us know that your printer is still able to perform within its design specifications. It sounds like you may just be encountering trouble with this specific design, but let me know and dates and times of other prints affected. I can use that information to help me review the print in the log files.

Next, as @dklgood mentioned, it can help to get a screenshot of the Glowforge app with the settings visible on the left side before and after the print is started. I can review that for any further steps, and will look forward to your response. Thank you!

Hello,
Here is a screen shot of a file I’m currently trying to print. Im using 5oz veg tan leather and custom settings.

Just tried this cut now at 11:29 am 11/14

Here i started the print at 11:36 and it ran the full 6 minutes.

after about 15 tries i was finally able to get it to print. I am able to upload different designs with different settings into this screen and it will print them all fine. It seems to only be an issue on the first new upload.

1 Like

Hi @moore.alaynab. Thank you for getting back to us with the screenshots and added information. I was reviewing them and wanted to see if you could provide a copy of the design file being used through email at support@glowforge.com. You can include the reference ticket number 362636 in your email. This will help me reproduce the issue on our end for any follow up troubleshooting. This may just be an issue with the preparation of the design file being used, and can review the file for any further suggestions to help you avoid this from creating any trouble as you continue printing. Thank you!