Leather Alien Facehugger Mask

Mentioned in another post that I was making a leather mask based on the facehuggers from the Alien movie franchise. I wasn’t sure how long it would take, so I am getting an early start so that it will be ready for Halloween.

Purchased the pattern from

Then digitized it so I could cut it on my Glowforge.

So far, I have have cut, formed, and dyed the body and legs. Tail is next. No forming required but a lot of pieces that have to be dyed and hand sewn.

Used thick proofgrade leather for the body and legs. Dyed with Fiebings Light Brown Pro Dye.

71 Likes

Wow wow wow! That is looking spectacular! Will definitely be a showstopper! It’d give me nightmares after wearing it! Fantastic job.

9 Likes

Looks scarily good so far - great job on the forming!

6 Likes

Wow, that is looking amazing! I cannot wait to see the final product.

This should be really scary for Halloween.

6 Likes

Amazing dye job. This is going to look so cool!

5 Likes

That does look awesome and +1 for the link to LeatherHub which I didn’t know was a thing.

Also, I believe this is the first time I’ve ever seen a project where one can yell “why don’t you just dye!” during the build phase and “why don’t you just die!” during the execution phase, and both utterances are context-correct. I’ll make do with being amused by that until you post the completion pix. :wink:

11 Likes

That will be delightfully creepy. Nice work!

3 Likes

this is really kick a$$, the best thing I’ve seen made with a GF so far! awesome and scary , great job!

I have downloaded a couple of their other patterns. Both turned out pretty good.

3 Likes

This is always a bad time for someone.

1 Like

Got the tail segments cut. Staining and stitching may take some time.

7 Likes

Ditto, AMAZING!

2 Likes

Making progress. It’s actually going smoother and quicker than I expected.

14 Likes

Spectacular. THIS is the reason the own a :glowforge: .

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing the link. Some great projects there.

1 Like

my thought exactly!

2 Likes

After many distractions, I finally got around to (mostly) finishing the facehugger.
I just need to figure out how I want to attach the pieces that make it wearable as I want the pieces to be removable.

13 Likes

That looks FABULOUS

Running a ring through the stitching on inside of the ends of the legs would allow you to use lobster clasps which can come in some pretty hearty weights

7 Likes

swell idea lobster clasps on thing that is kinda like a lobster.

now about those elephant clasps… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You could put small rare earth magnets on the legs and then have surgical screws implanted for them to connect to. No unsightly straps or clasps. :rofl: just kidding

4 Likes