Leather Bifold Card Wallet & Leather Tutorial

Hi Tim,
Thanks man, I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to reply and links that you provided. 'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers Dougie.

@Tim_Ung = Awesome. Great tutorial.

2 Likes

Wondering if you have ever etched into premade leather items? We are in cold Minnesota, where hockey is king, all sorts of teams want their logo etched onto the backs of choppers (they are leather mittens. Wondering if you have attempted anything like this? Will the Glowforge compensate for the thickness? Do I need to build a template to stretch out the mitten?
The process can be done as I have ordered these from other shops, but figure now that I actually have a laser in-house, it is silly to not do them myself. Any help is appreciated to those who have attempted a process like this before.

As long as the outer material is genuine leather (check the tag), you should be fine. I’m guessing you’ll have to remove the crumb tray and maybe shim them up a little. There are tutorials here on how to do the calculations if you need them. Just remember that you may not get the settings right the first try so have at least one you’re prepared to use for experiments.

5 Likes

Just had an idea that’s probably stupid but might be worth trying with a scrap: It’s been established that you can zap damp/wet wood without charring, especially if it’s thin. Would the damage to leather from wetting or dampening exceed the value of avoiding char?

I have been eyeballing some veg tanned kangaroo leather. Any experience with it for a wallet?

That’s a great suggestion! I haven’t tried wetting the leather prior to cutting and I’m sure there are some additional steps to the process to keep the leather from taking on a different shape.

Unfortunately, I haven’t tried kangaroo leather yet. I’d recommend running a scrap piece with various settings to figure out a good cut/etch setting. Let me know how it turns out!

kangaroo leather is supposed to be some of the strongest leather. Super supple, but VERY strong. I’ve had kangaroo leather in soccer cleats and it had no issues holding up to years of abuse on the field.

3 Likes

Thank you for the tips! I’ve been experimenting with leather too and this is very helpful!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time for this thorough and detailed write up!

1 Like

I too have used Acadia leather and Maverick leather a decent amount. I’ve lasered a good bit from Acadia, and it works just fine. They have great prices, and post about their specials on their instagram account. Plus, most of the time, there is free shipping in the contiguous US.

1 Like

Thankyou. Since I am new to this whole process I would like to make the sample swatch but dont know how to change the settings on each line. Would I do that with layers?

1 Like

You’d do it with colors.

The GFUI (Glowforge user interface) determines order of operations based on type of operation (cut vs. engrave) and color; that’s how it decides on the steps to put in the left panel. Colors are ordered by their hex number, from 000000 (black) to FFFFFF (white), with lower numbers first.

Here’s a post that might be helpful: Custom Inkscape, Illustrator, CorelDraw and Affinity Designer Color Palettes for ordering operations in GFUI

1 Like

Very informative Tutorial. Thanks for all of the tips and tricks.

Loved your writeups! Saw your MLC site tonight, too, and wanted to know where you got the fittings for the Apple watch?! Are they ‘good enough’ or would you prefer to find a different fitting? I have no plans or ideas but if I were going to try a leather project, I think trying an Apple watch band might be a good place to start?

Thank you! I would recommend starting with something like a card wallet for your first leather project. Believe it or not, a watch strap requires a lot more experience due to the way that the materials come together. Since watch straps are smaller accessories, they require more precision during both the design and making process. Either way, just starting a project and trying it out is the best way to learn! Here’s a post that I wrote about making an apple watch strap.

In terms of where I purchased the fittings for the apple watch, here are two of many places you can get them. The first is on Amazon where you can get a pair of fittings for about $13.00 to start like this pair. There are lower cost ones on Amazon as well which may be lower quality. I ended up purchasing mine from a manufacturer in China where they manufacture fittings for Apple watches. However, I had to purchase it in bulk. You can do the same using a website like Alibaba. Just make sure you do your research before purchasing!

I recommend starting with a pair from Amazon to see how you like the process before jumping to a larger order from a manufacturer.

Hope this helps!
Tim

1 Like

Thanks, Tim, for the info!

fwiw, I think your website’s display of your watch bands would be a little more pleasing if they rotated at a slower rate. Otherwise, it is a great looking site!

Oh, and on the Apple watch bands, you state that they can fit either the 38mm or 40mm watches, but it leaves a slight opening for readers to believe there should be a choice between those sizes, because historically people “know” there are two Apple watch sizes, when there are, in fact, 3 sizes. (Your bands are compatible with the 2 smaller sizes.)

Thanks for the feedback! I had the same thought about the rotating apple watch strap, but never thought about the size description. Let me know how your leather project goes. I’m looking forward to seeing it!

Great tutorial! Thank you for all the information! :heartpulse: