Leather Bifold Card Wallet & Leather Tutorial

I too have used Acadia leather and Maverick leather a decent amount. I’ve lasered a good bit from Acadia, and it works just fine. They have great prices, and post about their specials on their instagram account. Plus, most of the time, there is free shipping in the contiguous US.

1 Like

Thankyou. Since I am new to this whole process I would like to make the sample swatch but dont know how to change the settings on each line. Would I do that with layers?

1 Like

You’d do it with colors.

The GFUI (Glowforge user interface) determines order of operations based on type of operation (cut vs. engrave) and color; that’s how it decides on the steps to put in the left panel. Colors are ordered by their hex number, from 000000 (black) to FFFFFF (white), with lower numbers first.

Here’s a post that might be helpful: Custom Inkscape, Illustrator, CorelDraw and Affinity Designer Color Palettes for ordering operations in GFUI

2 Likes

Very informative Tutorial. Thanks for all of the tips and tricks.

Loved your writeups! Saw your MLC site tonight, too, and wanted to know where you got the fittings for the Apple watch?! Are they ‘good enough’ or would you prefer to find a different fitting? I have no plans or ideas but if I were going to try a leather project, I think trying an Apple watch band might be a good place to start?

Thank you! I would recommend starting with something like a card wallet for your first leather project. Believe it or not, a watch strap requires a lot more experience due to the way that the materials come together. Since watch straps are smaller accessories, they require more precision during both the design and making process. Either way, just starting a project and trying it out is the best way to learn! Here’s a post that I wrote about making an apple watch strap.

In terms of where I purchased the fittings for the apple watch, here are two of many places you can get them. The first is on Amazon where you can get a pair of fittings for about $13.00 to start like this pair. There are lower cost ones on Amazon as well which may be lower quality. I ended up purchasing mine from a manufacturer in China where they manufacture fittings for Apple watches. However, I had to purchase it in bulk. You can do the same using a website like Alibaba. Just make sure you do your research before purchasing!

I recommend starting with a pair from Amazon to see how you like the process before jumping to a larger order from a manufacturer.

Hope this helps!
Tim

1 Like

Thanks, Tim, for the info!

fwiw, I think your website’s display of your watch bands would be a little more pleasing if they rotated at a slower rate. Otherwise, it is a great looking site!

Oh, and on the Apple watch bands, you state that they can fit either the 38mm or 40mm watches, but it leaves a slight opening for readers to believe there should be a choice between those sizes, because historically people “know” there are two Apple watch sizes, when there are, in fact, 3 sizes. (Your bands are compatible with the 2 smaller sizes.)

Thanks for the feedback! I had the same thought about the rotating apple watch strap, but never thought about the size description. Let me know how your leather project goes. I’m looking forward to seeing it!

Great tutorial! Thank you for all the information! :heartpulse:

Your tutorial was awesome so much so that I want to try it. In fact I want to make it exactly the billfold card Wallet. Can you tell me where or how to make the pattern and if it was in the tutorial I’m sorry I missed it I did read it twice. I’m also looking forward to the stitching, can you recommend the tools I will need. Thank you so very much for the inspiration and information .

1 Like

I know this is an older post, but thank you for the tips and tricks and especially the knowledge. I am new to laser cutting and leather working. I want to learn as much as I can to eventually make leather wallets, purses, work bags and journals. I bought test leather from Hobby Lobby, but no one knew if it is vegatable tanned or not. It is colored so I will assume its chrome tanned and not use it in my machine. I will try Tandy this weekend.
Thank you

3 Likes

Reading as much as possible here in the forum is a great way to learn from others’ successes and failures. I look forward to seeing what you make once you get some practice with your Glowforge. I feel that leather is one of the more challenging materials to work with. You might consider getting something cheaper to practice on. I have had some success with the Saddle Collection from Johnson Plastics and cork fabric from an etsy seller.

Thank you for the info. I have my window exhaust vent now so I plan to play on my GF this weekend. I have some thin wood blanks, ceramic coasters and some cork I think. I am also placing an order for more PG wood and acrylic. I am positive I will be on here learning what I can.

I’m starting the leather journey myself. I’ve done a few wallets with templates found online, but I’m now working out my own designs in Illustrator and have made cardstock test pieces. I’ll get leather cut this weekend.

Tandy is a good source, and they’re running some in-store-only sales on nice veg tan pieces right now.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am planning to take a trip to the one near me in Houston tomorrow. I want a local source I can go to when the desire to craft hits me.

2 Likes

No problem! I hope the tutorial helps you with your journey into leatherworking. Good luck!

Great tutorial. I am a gun artist and I use lots of leather. I highly recommend Springfield Leather. The majority of the veg tan I purchase is the economy Hermann Oak veg tan. $119 for an entire side!!!

2 Likes

Thanks! I bought my laser with the intent of cutting all the fiddly wallet interior pieces but haven’t gotten used to what setting it needs yet. My last project i had to go back around in patches with a knife to get where it didn’t cut through properly.

12 Likes

That is awesome. Great detail & colors. I’m gobsmacked!

1 Like

Used to do hand leatherwork, but new to it with laser. Want to make a portfolio for my niece - just got her MA and is going on for PhD. Planning to re-cover a purchased one. Thinking of using med. proof grade, but unsure about correct thickness and what to seal it with. Any suggestions?