LED Standoff Edge Lit Bathymetric Map

Got a commission to do a local lake as a bathymetric map, and decided to try adding some light to it. I used blue LED stand-offs from outwater. I think the map looks great without the LED’s turned on, but it is better than I imagined with them on. Was originally going to put a frame around it to hide the layers, but kinda like the blue layer showing when it’s turned on. Might have to make a map for me using this technique.

With the lights on, not plugged in.

With the lights on, LED’s plugged in.

With most of the lights off, LED’s plugged in.

With the lights off, LED’s plugged in. Pictures do not do this justice

For those that are curious, here are some build pics showing how I hid the connections inside the map.

50 Likes

Wow!

2 Likes

Not only is this brilliant, but the diversity of your designs never ceases to amaze…

7 Likes

You knocked that one out of the park. Very nice!

2 Likes

Wow, indeed! I love maps like that, but then you went and combined the lit acrylic layer (which I love too) and made something absolutely amazing!

I just keep going back and looking at the pictures… if they do not do it justice, I cannot image how beautiful it is in person. This just an astounding job!

4 Likes

Adding edge lighting takes this to a whole new level

2 Likes

Whoah!! Great design, I’ve never seen LED standoffs before. I really love this, I bet the person who commissioned it was thrilled.

2 Likes

Congratulations @pubultrastar, what a beautiful work. You never cease to amaze us with your work! You constantly raise the bar for the rest of us!

3 Likes

Thank you very much. I enjoy sharing my creations, and definitely get inspiration from this forum. Always looking for that next project to work on!

1 Like

LED standoffs are on my wish list. Now I just wish I was inspired enough to think of something to make!

3 Likes

Amazing

2 Likes

That is so dang cool!

also the fact that LED standoffs exist. until now I didn’t know that and was trying to figure out how I was going to make them. So thanks for that heads up and nicely done map!!!

4 Likes

Oh, so nice! I’m loving the two-toned effect.

2 Likes

That looks incredible! I would love to do something like this for the New Orleans area, but I still have to figure out how to get the maps and lines stuff to work.

2 Likes

wow… Now another area I need to figure out LED stuff!

2 Likes

What an amazing project!!! Spectacular!!!

1 Like

That looks amazing! Excellent work. Where did you get the bathymetric map file from?

1 Like

The top layer for the roads was pulled from mapbox. The bathymetric layers were traced in Illustrator by hand using an old DNR map as the reference.

2 Likes