Another Edge-lit Bathymetric Map

My last map was a commission, and they absolutely loved it. I decided to create another, and this will be donated to a fundraiser for a YMCA Summer Camp in Northern Wisconsin. I’ve done iterations of this lake before, but added more lake levels and the illuminated LED standoffs. This time I tried white LED’s versus blue.

I also created an Instructable if anyone wants to see more pictures of the build process.

64 Likes

Another beautiful work of art!

4 Likes

Where do you find your maps? I want to do one for my father-in-law. He has a home on Table Rock Lake near Branson Missouri and can’t find a suitable file.

4 Likes

Google search for Wisconsin DNR fishing maps, and then trace the lake levels by hand in illustrator.

6 Likes

Most of our lakes are Army Corp of Engineer lakes around here. Thank you I’ll see if our DNR or MDC has anything.

BTW- I really like the maps you do.

3 Likes

I wish that you could pull bathymetric data like you can with topographic data, but haven’t found a free way to do it automagically.

3 Likes

Wow, another amazing lake map… you make me feel like a toddler playing with tool I have no idea how to use…

I feel so inadequate looking at all your amazing creations! It just pushes me to want to learn more!

You really do extraordinary work!!

3 Likes

Well my fellow Missourian we have a task to complete

2 Likes

My parents live just outside Bennett Spring State Park, so it would be cool to make a map of the area like this!

I will have to look into that.

1 Like

I may have told you already, but the park ranger there has one of our dogs.

I’m having senior moments more often :thinking: :thinking: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

@ovm.steve, yes, I think you mentioned that before! :smile:

@pubultrastar, you make me want to do so much more! Excellent job; you amaze me.

1 Like

Thank you! Glowforge is fun!

2 Likes

I think the first one used a blue acrylic, right? Edit: Never mind, it was the colored LED.

This one looks clear, with maybe some red around the posts? That is so strange, how did you do that?!?

1 Like

amazing!

1 Like

The red is just the light through the birch plywood. Not sure why it’s red, but the lights are really bright, enough to penetrate the plywood.

1 Like

Another outstanding creation! So many layers…

2 Likes

You truly are an artist. Your instructable was beyond amazing.

2 Likes

Thank you! Vote for me in the Maps Contest!!!

5 Likes

Absolutely!!! I,just voted for you.

1 Like

Voted!! (Yes, it was for you!)