Light Switch Covers Design Files

I admire the beautiful work done by @clyde.

Usually most “plastic” light switch covers are made out of bakelite, which is one of the oldest synthetic resin invented, which is non-conductive and heat resistant.

I googled bakelite MSDS and found:

" 10. Stability and Reactivity
Stability: Stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage.
Hazardous Decomposition Products: May produce carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides and hydrogen chloride when heated to decomposition."

The key word being “May”. Hydrogen chloride is a gas form of hydrochloric acid.

Short story, do not laser bakelite.

7 Likes

I think modern plastic switch plate covers are polycarbonate. I don’t think that it is good for your GF to laser them.

I hate to see all of the good work posted here go to waste so I’m going try engraving on some ceramic and white coated metal switch covers.

3 Likes

Bakelite has not been used in years. The current product in use is called thermoset plastic or polymer.

1 Like

I beg to differ. Bakelite is a thermoset resin, and I supply Hexamethylenetetramine as an accelerator to a manufacturer of Bakelite that makes thousands of household electrical products, light switch covers among them. It might be the oldest synthetic resin invented by modern chemistry, but it is cheap and reliable and still is used even though the field of specialized synthetic resins has grown incredibly in the last decades.

8 Likes

Thanks for that informed response. I should know better than to trust google information.

1 Like

You are not the only one @clyde, with all the fake news floating around, I now don´t take anything for granted and double check and research. The internet is a wealth of resources, but with so much offerings, one must learn to select sources. Not always the sites with most hits are the most accurate. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Wiki says that the stuff is just gnarly. However, if you search for the word gnarly on the link for bakelite, you won’t find it.

Yummy Bakelite! I’ll take mine with a side shooter of formaldehyde.

3 Likes

thank you for the templates

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve never even tried to do covers. Really appreciate these little starter files to get my feet wet. Once I get about knee-high, I hope to be ready to pay to forward.

4 Likes

Made this using the single plate pattern, my kiddo has been transitioning from paw patrol to Mario recently so gonna change up his light switch!

8 Likes

It’s really great to see all the variations of switch plate covers. Just be aware that they do not meet building codes in many many states, unless they have metal backing plates, due to fire potential. If your house catches fire because of the installation you may not be eligible for insurance.

1 Like

This is really confusing because I had been recently been talking to a couple of other people about this and [reading about it here] and metal switchplates would conduct electricity, so that is not recommended.

“Metal switches and outlets to coordinate with popular metal switchplates is a common request. However, electrical devices are not manufactured in metal finishes. This would be a major safety hazard as metal devices would conduct electricity. Instead, we recommend you select plastic devices in the color that best matches the switchplates you intend to use.”

Wood (and Metal) plates are extremely common and perfectly safe if the wiring is done right.

Every hardware store sells them. Dozens of options at Home Depot and Lowes, for example, in Stainless, Nickel, Brass. Also plenty of options in wood as well.

1 Like

Considering most of the plates in newer houses are plastic I feel like this is probably not being upheald

1 Like

Just saying, check the building codes in your area, better to be safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Those are amazing!!

1 Like

Love it! I’m sure your son does too! :blush:

1 Like

@cynd11 Mahalo for this design. We repainted the house, and there was this one outlet cover that didn’t quite cover the drywall hole, so I made it a smidge wider and was able to get it covered quickly.

8 Likes

OMG don’t make me want to get a CNC…we don’t have any more room at this house…but I LOVE the movie themed light switch on your website! We’re big into movies and our next house* we plan on a dedicated movie room. You have some wonderfully awesome designs!

• this house is owned by oldest son & we took over the family room for a 2 Glowforge laser room…so not pushing my luck any further for a dedicated movie room…although I have been collecting movie themed popcorn vessels.
5 Likes

It’d take some effort but you could do that design with the 3D engraving of a Glowforge!

4 Likes