Living Hinge Gone Wild

Full disclosure: I’m a newbie, so this may be ho hum to a lot of you.

While waiting for my GF, I read a bunch of posts about living hinges. Never being one to leave well enough alone, I thought, “if wood can bend around a corner, why can’t it bend around all the corners?” 28 iterations later (I was trained as an engineer, my numbering system lets me know this), I produced the first finished version of what I was aiming for.

Next I decided to see if I could do it a smaller size (the first one is ~3.5" in diameter).

Then I thought, “I wonder what this would look like in acrylic?”

Hmmmmm…I don’t like that so much. What if I tried clear acrylic instead?

Much better.

And then it was Xmas:

Each of the three designs - large wood, small wood, small acrylic are slightly different because of the properties of the material. The large wood box needs a locking ring around the top to keep the sides vertical, while neither of the smaller boxes needs that. Both of the wood boxes need a ring inside the top to facilitate ease of use, while the acrylic top works simply with a ring engraved in the top that fits onto the sides of the box.

73 Likes

I like it, it’s a nice take on the concept.

Now, about that Papyrus… :wink:

12 Likes

Yep, you are definitely an engineer if you design by iteration! Great job on it! :smile:

5 Likes

You living hinge is great. Nice finished product!

5 Likes

These are beautiful! Love seeing what happens when engineers create.

4 Likes

Oh I love these. Nice work. Obviously looking forward to seeing what you come up with next :glowforge:

1 Like

I thought that wasn’t a thing anymore - the acrylic anniversary sign & frame someone posted last week had papyrus on the bottom and no one mentioned it :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

We must remain vigilant.

(just kidding, make stuff with Papyrus if you like it :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Handy and attractive. Good project.

4 Likes

Is Papyrus a no-no?

1 Like

Ah it’s just a bit of an in joke. It’s a pretty commonly used font, and you know how typeface geeks are. There’s a bunch of websites that rag on using it, and it was a joke on the forum to tease people for using it. (see also: comic sans)

3 Likes

I knew Comic Sans was passé, I just happen to like Papyrus…

8 Likes

I like 'em both. Stand your ground! :smile:

9 Likes

When you do something, you really become unhinged about it! Great product.

I remember trying to make my first small, round boxes with living hinge sides. Oh did I make a lot of failed parts. Your design is pretty solid and quite interesting looking. Nice job.

7 Likes

Ooh - I love living hinges, they fascinate me endlessly.
This one looks like tire tread/tracks!

Damn the number of iterations! I track the same way, and it’s both sad and inspirational to see them rack up! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Like your particular living hinge, hadn’t seen that pattern yet. And the clear acrylic is so very cool!

4 Likes

That is an articularly nice living hinge design! :heart_eyes: making round things was the first challenge I went to when I first got my Glowforge. I did not understand about living hinges but have an oak cane bent at the top and so went off in that direction.

I did find that a deep engrave really stabilized the round, the ability to expand or contract the circle really helps as if the wood is solid any change in temperature or humidity really changes the diameter.

Also what I discovered was that a locking pattern could hold the ends together though it looks like you are just matching the design at the ends which could be why keeping it from trying to be an exclamation point takes some effort. Also, I have noted that a curved area of stress has a lot less stress than if the stress is focused to a point.

This is one example of a whole line of lamps and then I also tried making the living hinge on the inside only.

2 Likes

Design by iteration works for me. Failure is the teacher, and you will know the weaknesses of it - because you have found them all! :unamused:

Nice work on those materials :sunglasses: Thanks for sharing your adventure!

4 Likes

Not a living hinge that i’ve seen before, and I really like it! These are great designs!

4 Likes

Nice design, and I like it in the clear acrylic.

5 Likes