Low Power Mode

@takitus It’s our pleasure :slight_smile:

I can’t speak to fan control - that’s squarely in another department. But I’m excited for it too…

@jkopel we’re working on it!

6 Likes

Well, if you’re running paper that’s out of spec for your print device… too thick, too big…

2 Likes

Yeah. Custom inkless business cards

5 Likes

How are people getting around interference from the air assist with these light materials?

Magnets and/or tape.

2 Likes

In addition to magnets and tap as @Tom_A describes, you can also do what I do with the ultralight fabric I cut for work, in splitting your cut order to leave tiny tabs attached until the last moment as it cuts.

6 Likes

That is awesome! Out of curiosity, what does it look like back lit? I think that’s what I’d like to use it for.

Good thinkin!

Have you seen Moo business cards on Luxe stock? They have a colour sandwiched in the middle. Could totally etch the white top layer off and reveal the mid layer for those as you suggest.

1 Like

With low power mode it will be interesting to see what people come up with. I’ve liked this image ever since I first started Googling laser cutting ideas.

27 Likes

Oh, damn! trots off to get a leaf…

11 Likes

Do you have the Glowforge cut the tabs/bridges at the end of the work order? Or did you manually detach? My thinnest gasket material is thicker (~0.01") than 20# copy paper (~0.004") and would definitely be affected by the air assist.

Here was my original proof of concept cut test (the green are the last tabs to go)

https://community.glowforge.com/t/space-invaders-or-mitral-valve-leaflets-you-decide/7331

7 Likes

Amazing. I had seen your different iterations of the valve simulator, but hadn’t seen that topic of you actually cutting out the mesh. Thank you for patiently pointing me back to it.

1 Like

Oh man that is cool. Bookmarked that for sure

But I can get detail definition and combine engrave & cuts with precise alignment this way (assuming the brown toasting of the paper is a good color for your design). It’ll be handy for card work.

What I think will be really useful will be a combination of laser cutting and scoring paper over a preprinted image. Pepakura is a prime example, or a combination of laser etching over a single color stamp for a card. It would be a cool combination of old school and new technology. I think that will be nice.

One thing I’m curious about is how weak the etched paper becomes? Is it more brittle in that area or thinner?

6 Likes