Mac Users

I am new to Gf and I am curious what other software Mac users may be running. I noticed the frequently asked questions section it mentions there is an app in the App Store for the Gf but I was not able to find this. Thanks

1 Like

Always search first, your question is almost always already answered.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=mac%20software

1 Like

Also, welcome to the forum! This post has a lot of info that you might find useful. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but if you can dig deep, you can learn so quickly!

Start here:

Read everything in there that you can be patient enough to get through, it’s all gold.

4 Likes

The app is for iOS devices (iPad and iPhones).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glowforge/id1362759131?mt=8

I’m a Mac user, and I’m using a very old copy of Adobe Creative Suite (version 5.0) which includes Illustrator and Photoshop. I’m using El Capitan, and I’m pretty sure the next MacOS upgrade will break this old software. At that point I might go with the free Inkscape to replace Illustrator and Gimp to replace Photoshop. I also occasionally use Sure Cuts A Lot (about $60) which I bought to use with my vinyl cutter but is surprisingly useful for the Glowforge as well. I’ve been able to open SVG files in it that couldn’t be opened in Illustrator. On my iPad I use Affinity Designer, which also has a Mac version, and you’ll find a number of folks on the forum that really like that software.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I find myself using Boxy SVG – found on the Mac App Store – for quick/easy SVG hackery. It isn’t as powerful as InkScape by a long shot, but the UI is so so so much more pleasant.

Welcome to the forum. I have been sloooooooowly teaching myself Inkscape and Fusion 360 for the Mac. The Inkscape XQuartz windowing is Very fiddly but not a huge deal once you get to know it.

I use Affinity Designer for designing 2D stuff and Fusion 360 for 3D.

AD lacks some features that aillustrator and ainkscape have but it’s wasy to use and cheap.

I usually use Safari for app.glowforge.com but I used to use Chrome back when Glowforge didn’t work so well with other browsers. (But at this point it’s been a while since I’ve seen any browser I compatibilities.)

1 Like

I mostly use Corel Draw x6 (an old version) in a virtual Windows machine on my Macs. So, something like that is an option, too.

I occasionally use Inkscape, too and, I understand the upcoming v 1.0 release is supposed to run natively on MacOS.

I’m on MacOS Mojave, and I typically use the latest version of Photoshop, or Fusion 360. Every once in a while, I will use Affinity Designer.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.