MacBook Etching

Yes, I measure the height of the MacBook as well as the width and depth and create a template in Fusion 360 and then put a couple sheets of MDF in the bed without the tray. I then measure the height with the MDF sheets and laptop combined subtracted 1.5 in from that to get my height. I didn’t use masking which I should have but I didn’t and I didn’t use any kind of spray or anything. Next time I think I might try the marking spray.

It was cool, as I said sort of :proofgrade: for objects (not just iPads). As to iDevices I have way too many, I just re-purpose them for other tasks (i.e.: Surveillance Camera, Home Control, video, etc) :sunglasses:

I was getting a :glowforge: either way :joy:

I don’t know if a feature cheapens a device, it’s just a feature. And whats wrong with user friendly?

I have a couple of dead MacBooks to practice on. Since the GF can’t ID the material, the first question the interface asks is: Thickness. How should I determine this?

1 Like

Measure the thickest part with a digital calipers and enter the result in inches.

2 Likes

Thickest part of the overall computer? Or the aluminium cover? (which I don’t have access to without tearing the thing apart)

1 Like

How did you plan to engrave on it? By removing the cover or leaving it attached?

The thickness that you need to enter into the Unknown Materials slot will be the distance from the surface of the material to where the top of the tray would normally sit.

If the whole thing is thicker than about 1/2 inch, you’re going to need to remove the tray and set up a support to bring the whole thing into the correct range for engraving.

We’ve got a couple of tutorials that explain it in more detail.

6 Likes

Thanks, I’ll go over your tutorial. I plan on experimenting on them whole, since I might have some people asking me to etch their computers, I want to have an idea of what I’m doing before anything else.

Thanks again for the help

1 Like

But, wait, guys, the real question here is does this person just love Mumford & Sons or are they part of Mumford & Sons? Because if they’re not in the band they must love the band a whole hell of a lot and either way I’m impressed. :rofl:

3 Likes

Definitely a fan. Haha!!

1 Like

My two Macs. 99 power, 1000 speed, 225lpi.
I prefer the thinner lines on the MacBook, compared to the thicker ones on the pro.

17 Likes

Nice. How’d you make them white?

Sweet! I like the thinner lines too.

8 Likes

I etched my MacBook last night using a calculator (linked below) from another thread. I think it worked pretty well. It turned out a little pixelated, but I like it. I used 75 power, 1000 speed. Not sure what the LPI were.

IMG_0338

Tray Removed - Calculator - Updated?

8 Likes

Oh nice! Like the leaf motif! :grinning:

2 Likes

I moved off of this topic and it wasn’t until three threads later that it hit me that you were rhyming…:man_facepalming: leaf motif

I had to come back and comment just cause it took me THAT long to get why I thought your response was neat.

3 Likes

I’m just glad someone caught it! :wink:

1 Like

I laughed at it too. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My first cut - on a piece of an old MacBook. I’m pretty happy with it

6 Likes

I’m just getting a 404 on your link.