Magic: the Gathering Life Tracker

As in , closer to a final version.

1 Like

The side gear is a nice touch, care to show more about how you made it work? I assume it freefloats, and doesnā€™t have an axle?

How?
I added 2 more round layers below that is the nominal bottom of the original design. The lower of the 2 ( top center in attached) acting as both the bottom and middle layer. The layer in between ( bottom right in attached) has openings sufficient for holding 2 gears. The larger gear ( n=30 teeth) protrudes out the side. The smaller( n = 20 teeth) is the same as the ones in the layer above. I probably changed the scale and the gear ratios at some point. It is scaled / ratio-ed so that I can get up to 5 orbiting gears in the top gear layer without gnashing of the teeth.

The larger gear rides upon an axle made from a 1/4 dowel. This axle is held in place by holes in the round plate above and below. A dab of thin glue keeps the axle from migrating up or down. It is about 3/8 long. The smaller gear is runs on a separate 1/4 inch dowel axle. This axle runs through all the plates. It runs through holes in the new bottom and the old bottom and the old top. It also runs through the center gear on the tip gear layer and though the pointer. Turning the large gear, turns the center stack and thus turns the orbital gears in the top gear layer. The circles with holes are used to make the axle thicker on the way to the pointer and the top plate (not shown) has the center opening expanded to allow the fatter part to pass.

Probably not as good for a game counter ( hard to control the pointer) but fun for amusing bored hands. People tend to not put them down for a while after being handed them.

added%20parts%20for%20widget

14 Likes

Totally awesome!

This topic just continues to inspire. Great ideas!

Thank you for sharing your modification. I just made one and the toothpick hole made it easy to line up the pointer. I subbed in a half inch size 2 brass screw for the toothpick in the final assembly, fits perfectly and keeps everything lined up.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this! Just made one for my brother for Christmas and it works great. Did the gears in clear acrylic, painted the base black so they would show better. I probably should have flipped the imagesā€¦ hopefully that doesnā€™t matter too muchā€¦ lol
My kids keep trying to steal it to play with! :rofl:

21 Likes

this has gotten out of hand. the triple axis magic 8 ball/ oujai widget spinner.

flip it so you cannot see the pointer or the wording, ask your yes or no question, spin the gear and the knob, flip it back over to see what fate has in store for you.

24 Likes

Was about to ask why there was(awesomely) a donut on the spinnerā€¦then I saw its a ouroboros.

ā€¦I like donuts.

6 Likes

This looks totally amazing! Iā€™d love to see it in motion if you have a chance to make a video.

Thanks for sharing!

I made a video for this previously, but forgot to post it here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqqJOLThlOs

One thing I noticed is that the round dowel tends to slip when turning, even with super glue. Anyone tried making a square one instead?

1 Like

anybody make one of an 80 health one? My friend loved this design but requested an 80 health one.

Thanks for sharing this! Itā€™s printing for me right now.

1 Like

Yep, made mine square ages ago. Works like a charm. Why wouldnā€™t you use square then you can make the whole thing with the GF.

Made 1 with your square peg, so helpful!

2 Likes

@finh a friend of mine knows we have a glowforge and found this post somehow. She asked me to make one for her son that counts up to 100 (Iā€™ll post the file when done). She told our local gaming shop about it and now they are interested also. I saw above somewhere in the thread about attribution. What do you want used for it? Iā€™m new to all thisā€¦

Here are the stipulations for use of items posted in Free Laser Designs:

Thanks! @finh had posted above that this is under Creative Commons 4.0, which does include commercial use as long as there is attribution. My question is, how does one attribute?
Should I make a sign? Should I laser something on the material?
What is supposed to be included? I come from an academic background so APA citation is burned into my brain. Iā€™m probably overthinking it.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

Here is the one I made for a gift - 8 year old birthday. Heā€™s just getting into the game.
Modifications include:
Adding a small disk inside to support the square pegs so the pointer isnā€™t as free-floating
0-60 tallies with 6/0 for 0 and 60.
Magic: The Gathering font used for the tallies and personalization
Removed mana symbols and personalization from file shared!

And I was informed by my husband that it does indeed (!!) :dizzy_face: matter in what order the mana symbols are, so the final version has them laid out correctly. Green and black are not supposed to go next to each other. I, of course, am clueless on this matter. Seriously. This was a fun project and a good one to get outside my comfort zone. :grinning:

Magic%20Counter%20to%2060|18x10

I included his name and phone number on it because, well, heā€™s 8. Though the font makes the 1 look like itā€™s a 7, so Iā€™d probably not use the exact font for any other numbers. I was also frustrated that I couldnā€™t get a capital h but could get other capital letters.

10 Likes

@shishona I just took a couple of these to my adult son this weekend. I made him help assemble them. He was also telling me that the symbols needed to go in a particular order.

Of note, his name is Keegan too :slight_smile: As you know, it isnā€™t very common.