Mandala Business Card Holder

The same way you save any file in a browser on your iPhone. Click and hold until the menu pops up to save, copy, open, etc.

2 Likes

Hi, beautiful design! I printed mine out and it looks burnt in many areas. Were the settings changed to adjust for this. Or did you all just use a wood cleaner to get the black marks off? Thanks!!

I dial back my power from the PG settings for intricate cuts – for this one I think I just dropped the power from Full to 100 (I have a basic). You might have to do some experimenting to see what will work best on your machine. :slight_smile:

Thank you! Maybe someone else will comment with tips as Iʻd hate to waste wood especially because they’ve been out of supply for so long. :slight_smile: Maybe others have tips. Thank you for the quick response!!

You need to open a thread in Beyond the Manual to discuss custom settings.

1 Like

One reason I am vague about settings (aside from the forum rules @eflyguy pointed out) is that my experience has shown that each machine and each piece of wood can perform differently once you’ve left the realm of the tried and true PG settings and materials. Other people’s settings are really only useful as a starting point, and you end up wasting LESS materials if you take the time to nail down your settings first. I’m currently my own proof of this, as I got a replacement machine after having a small fire, and the new one requires different settings for my intricate cuts than the ones that worked for me before.

Here’s a post that can help you with testing – it only takes a small 1/2" strip of wood, and you can save it for future reference, so it’s not “wasted.”

3 Likes

side click, open image in new tab. side click the image & save. itll be an SVG file already, save to correct folder.

Think maybe you meant to reply to someone else, but also all of these posts are old. (Also, you shouldn’t need to open the image in a separate tab. Just right-click and choose “Save Image As”)

2 Likes

A retiree business card reads… “free, having fun and loving it”

2 Likes

Hello this is my first time commenting since getting the GF. I have already cut different materials but I have not scored before. I am trying to make this card holder but not sure what to set the score too. I have the GF Plus. Can anyone help?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
The score settings will self populate if you are using Proofgrade materials. If you are using non Proofgrade materials you will need to manually set the score power and speed. In order to help you we need to know what material you are using.

3 Likes

Thank you, I forgot to include what material I used. I used 1/4 Birch ply

To score on a non-PG material a decent rule of thumb is to cut your Cut power in half. You can probably lower it even more than that, but some folks like a deep score.

A score is literally a cut that doesn’t make it all the way through :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just so you’re aware, the pattern is made for 1/8" material; I don’t think it will work well with 1/4".

2 Likes

Yes, I realized that after making it!! But I was able to still make it work out with the 1/4 ". Thank you for sharing this piece!

1 Like

Love it, thanks!

1 Like

What a great design. For those who don’t think they need one for themselves - if you do shows or have your stuff in a shop, you can put your own cards in there. What a great way to display how intricate the Glowforge can cut!

1 Like

I am dying to try this etched acrylic version. :slight_smile: But I am a total novice (both in Inkscape AND Glowforge) and have no idea how to modify the file. Is there any chance you have an svg with the etch/fill version that you would be willing to share? TIA

It looks like all they did was set the red lines to “engrave” instead of “cut.”

1 Like

Thank you. Will it automatically fill in the spaces where his is filled? Or just etch the outline?

Your design was the 2nd thing I made (just received my GF)! Love it - thank you so much for sharing! :hugs:

4 Likes