Mandala Business Card Holder

Hello this is my first time commenting since getting the GF. I have already cut different materials but I have not scored before. I am trying to make this card holder but not sure what to set the score too. I have the GF Plus. Can anyone help?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
The score settings will self populate if you are using Proofgrade materials. If you are using non Proofgrade materials you will need to manually set the score power and speed. In order to help you we need to know what material you are using.

3 Likes

Thank you, I forgot to include what material I used. I used 1/4 Birch ply

To score on a non-PG material a decent rule of thumb is to cut your Cut power in half. You can probably lower it even more than that, but some folks like a deep score.

A score is literally a cut that doesn’t make it all the way through :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just so you’re aware, the pattern is made for 1/8" material; I don’t think it will work well with 1/4".

2 Likes

Yes, I realized that after making it!! But I was able to still make it work out with the 1/4 ". Thank you for sharing this piece!

1 Like

Love it, thanks!

1 Like

What a great design. For those who don’t think they need one for themselves - if you do shows or have your stuff in a shop, you can put your own cards in there. What a great way to display how intricate the Glowforge can cut!

1 Like

I am dying to try this etched acrylic version. :slight_smile: But I am a total novice (both in Inkscape AND Glowforge) and have no idea how to modify the file. Is there any chance you have an svg with the etch/fill version that you would be willing to share? TIA

It looks like all they did was set the red lines to “engrave” instead of “cut.”

1 Like

Thank you. Will it automatically fill in the spaces where his is filled? Or just etch the outline?

Your design was the 2nd thing I made (just received my GF)! Love it - thank you so much for sharing! :hugs:

4 Likes

This is beautiful.

There is no “etch” setting. :slight_smile: There’s “cut,” which cuts out the shape, “engrave,” which fills the shape with engraving, and “score,” which scores the outline of each shape. So setting it to “engrave” will do what you want.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. (I meant to say “engrave” not “etch” - need my coffee! Lol) :blush::+1:t3:

1 Like

This is pretty!!!

1 Like

this is beautiful! I would love to try making it. I see the image to the file, but it doesn’t click. Is it me? Is there a trick to download it? Thanks so much for sharing!!

Welcome to the forum. If you have a windows computer, if you right click the mouse over the picture you get a “Save image as”. Click on that and with most browsers it will allow you to save the file as an .SVG file.

1 Like

that might be the issue, I’m on a mac. When I right click I can only save the image preview, it isn’t a file. Is there an issue with Mac? :frowning:

Never mind - dopey me - it worked!! Yay! I can’t wait to try it!

3 Likes

I love this! As a newbie, how exactly would I download this pattern so I can make it? Thanks