Memorial for my cat Lois

Sunday afternoon my 16 year old cat, Lois, passed away. Even though she was 16, it wasn’t expected, because until that morning, she still acted like a nimble little kitten.
She wasn’t herself all morning, and after two trips to the Emergency Vet, she quickly declined, and passed on her own with all of my family surrounding her, showering her with so much love.
An x-ray showed a mass right next to her heart, that the Veterinarian said could either be cancer, or an infection. Either way, Lois never indicated anything was wrong, and was always there with me until she passed, where I can say I was there for her.
I was in a haze all of Sunday night and yesterday, and only concentrated on making this for our wall, where it will hang over a shelf that will hold her urn.

47 Likes

Sorry to hear about Lois. It’s hard when they go.

2 Likes

We had to put our 16 year old cat to sleep yesterday, so I’m in the same headspace. I’m so sorry for your loss.

The memorial is beautiful.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss as well. :cry:

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

We’ve lost a few cats over the years. The hardest one for me was Knuks. Been about 8 years now and I miss him to this day. What a fantastic way you’ve found to honor Lois!!!

Gosh, I hope this doesn’t sound insensitive to ask… Where did you get those stand-offs? I’ve looked for some shorter ones and haven’t been able to find any I like.

3 Likes

No worries at all, I actually found them on a broken frame at Hobby Lobby, and this was the perfect way to put them to use.
I’ve also gotten some from here:https://www.globalindustrial.com/g/storage/Display-Store-Fixtures/cable-display-systems/sign-supports-standoffs-111708

and here: https://www.displays2go.com/C-2493/Sign-Standoffs-Through-Style-Sets-2-4

And Happy Birthday @Tom_A ! :birthday:

3 Likes

I’m really sorry @MichaelKoske and @ChristyM, it always leaves a hole. (And @ChristyM, I know you just lost your hedgie as well.)

That’s a lovely tribute.

5 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

Thanks for the links! I’d found that first one from globalindustrial in my searching. Thing is, I’m looking for like 0.25" length. I’m beginning to think they don’t exist.

THANKS!!!

1 Like

Very nice memorial. I know you miss her terribly, but it must be comforting to know she didn’t suffer for an extended period of time.

1 Like

So sorry to hear about Lois’ passing. You made a beautiful tribute!

1 Like

That is a lovely memorial, but I’m so sorry to hear about Lois and @ChristyM’s cat. I hope you have other pets to help.

3 Likes

Great looking memorial plaque.

1 Like

So sorry. :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Yes, thanks. I don’t want to hijack this post, but the double loss has really left me reeling. We have no pets left. :frowning:

2 Likes

I always say after a pet dies that there will be no more…it hurts too much to lose them. And then a sick feral mother cat shows up on your deck after a flood and she’s trying to drag her five tiny kittens to safety…and you melt and take the year required to tame her and give her and her babies a home. (Because no one will take in a feral adult cat.)

There will be more. Let them in, and try to take the ones no one wants… the rewards are greatest there. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

We’re actually looking into fostering, so this is appropriate advice!

2 Likes

This was a card given to me when my dog passed, by the hospital he was at. The last paragraph says it best

And now I have to go find those damn onions and get rid of them.

(Great job on the memorial too)

8 Likes

I think they’re hidden under my desk.

4 Likes

My wife keeps saying that. Our kids are finally out of the house and we have to have someone come in to take care of the cats and dog if we want to go away.

But she’s got two adult feral cats she’s recently adopted. I built a heated little house for one and just last month had to buy a cat bed and a barn heating pad for the other one (a gorgeous Maine Coon cat). They visit near daily except when it’s cold when they stay over (just not inside).

I don’t think the Corgi has to worry that we’ll be prematurely leaving him at the vet’s. Our “no more mammals” pact has already been broken :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes