Mic stand weight

After three try, here is my mic stand weight.
Original question post
Free files

Birch ply , inner ring made of stacks of rings aligned via an aluminum wire, outside made from parametric curved surface. Has issues with aligning and making the “gear’s teeth” to be in step with the curve.
For now filled with leftover copper wire rings. Searching for better weights. It is now at about 500g.

Any interest in the files? (UPDATED: See top of page)

48 Likes

That’s the prettiest weight I’ve ever seen. :slight_smile: I like how you shaped the fingers on the vertical join so they wouldn’t come apart, too.

You should go ahead and post the files in the Free Files section, if you’re willing to share them. I can’t think of a use for it at the moment, but it’s a useful enough shape that someone is sure to want it sooner or later!

8 Likes

It’s my signature shape (the hexagon) and it is also a joint I used before to splice longer element (a picture stretcher).

3 Likes

Should I paint it and if so what? Black?

I think black would hide the details of the cuts. I think I’d probably just oil it and call it done.

6 Likes

Black is a drag. Go big, like a bright color, some amazing red or hot pink or even metallic gold. It’s begging for rub-n-buff. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I agree with @evansd2–gold!

4 Likes

If it’s going to get color, it really should be copper. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So beautiful.

I have a few designs in the “idea stage” that incorporate living hinges, but I find them strangely intimidating.

4 Likes

Functional yet gorgeous. A win!

4 Likes

This turned out really pretty in addition to useful. Thanks for working out the kinks and sharing.

2 Likes

Autumn Gold Rub’n’Buff is a good copper.

I love the design and I love the look. Filling it with half a kilo of copper has me :rofl:

5 Likes

Love the design, and copper would be my choice of color.

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

If you’re looking for heavier - over on the low-temperature metal casting thread I got hooked up with “lead free fishing weights”. They melt at about 300(150) degrees and are about 2x2x1/2 (50x50x12) per pound(450g) - so you could get that mic stand up to easily 3-4lb (1350-1800g) of weight!

2 Likes

does it ship to (in) Canada? Because I am not sure it can cross the border :thinking:

Haven’t the foggiest - but they’ve got a chat function on their website and I bet they can answer :slight_smile: I also imagine there are equivalent companies in CA!

1 Like

I love the pattern! Some color might be nice, but definitely don’t hide the details!

1 Like

You can get this on Amazon.ca

Roto Metals RotoMetals Lead Free Pewter - Alloy AC Casting Ingot (92% Tin 7.75% Antimony 0.25% Copper) Britannia Alloy

You can also order direct from that company. Might be cheaper too however it is in USD + shipping.

1 Like

I just got a bunch of their metal and I’m pleased with it. Do check their website to compare though as they add $10 a bar to the same product they list on Amazon.

Last time I bought it, you could buy it locally at “sporting goods” stores.

1 Like