Millennium Falcon clock

This clock is pretty cool and it would be very easy to make something similar using the Glowforge: Millennium Falcon clock

A Death Star clock would also work quite well. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

I’m planning on doing that sort of thing with NASA mission patches and the Orion spacecraft. I’m willing to bet the meatball logo will look awesome

4 Likes

Saw these on Facebook. Really cool!

17 Likes

Remember all that vinyl, when cut, produces toxic and corrosive gas that can damage both your Glowforge and you.

11 Likes

Those are cool,but yeah… black acrylic or the like to replicate with a laser

2 Likes

I was more just calling out the design idea. I didn’t even realize they were albums. Would still be cool out of wood or acrylic.

3 Likes

Not sure how they can sell that clock on etsy without paying for royalties. I guess its low enough volume that the lawyers haven’t gotten around to it yet.

This makes me wonder… has anyone ever come up with a vinyl record pattern which could be engraved onto black acrylic to give the appearance of a vinyl record? It doesn’t have to be functional - after all, what of anything with holes would be? - but more for aesthetic purposes.

3 Likes

That might be fun to try one day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’d want to use extruded acrylic for the “record” so it doesn’t just create a spiral of white grooves.

4 Likes

It’s been linked before:

so why shouldn’t it be functional if you went through all the trouble?

Also wouldn’t it be cool for one of these clocks to have the Millennium Falcon on the second hand, and X-wind on the minute and maybe a tie fighter on the hour?

7 Likes

because it’s difficult to use a laser to encode data onto a 45. it’s been done but it sounds hideous. recreating it visually should be relatively easy tho.

1 Like

I think it has something to do with “Ships from United Kingdom.” I imagine if it was US-based something would happen to them. I’m pretty sure 100% of the © infringement designs I’ve seen on Etsy have been non-US.

• Tom

I mostly think it’s a matter of scale; there’s so much copyrighted nonsense being sold by “DIY” people and “makers” that some falls through the cracks until they get spotted.

And sometimes, rarely, they do get permission.

edit - i suspect they might argue that they’ve changed enough detail that this isn’t infringement but i think winning that argument would prove a hard row to hoe

2 Likes

Just go to any Comic Con for a bevy of artists selling copyrighted material… speaking of which, I just remembered a print of a Jedi standing atop a fallen AT-AT that I bought at Emerald City CC last year and I still need to frame!

4 Likes

Yes, but most require that the booth have x% of goods be original artwork. Still doesn’t make it legal, but it probably keeps out the true bootlegger.

1 Like

Oh, most of it is original artwork, but still is utilizing the IP of a major company (Disney, DC, etc…). Maybe they have permission to utilize it, but I wouldn’t think so. I’m just saying that if the lawyers wanted to crack down on IP infringement, they could have a field day at any CC. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, but that’s what I’m saying… Most Cons require that there is x% of truly original artwork. In other words, using no IP at all. I’m not saying they sell much of it, but it has to exist at the booth for them to be there. The clock in the OP would absolutely not be considered original artwork.

It’s funny, because people try to suggest a “gray area” when it comes to fan-created items. But there’s no gray area. All of the characters, likenesses, props, etc. are owned by somebody, and it sure ain’t the guy selling the charcoal pencil drawings of Darth Vader. :wink:

I’m not sure how much any of the © holders care. On the other hand, some definitely do. Search out the article on the woman selling “Jayne inspired hats” on Etsy (I believe). They were hand made by this woman. Fox wasn’t selling them. The stupid hat only appeared in 1 episode (although 1 out of 14 makes everything iconic I supposed). And this woman got hit with a cease order. And, then? Guess what… Fox started selling the hats. LAME. Lame for so many reasons.

I think fan creations should be encouraged and should be sold to anybody who would be willing to buy it. I’m not talking direct ripoffs. I mean, you shouldn’t be able to sell something that the © holder is actually producing. But if you’ve created something beautiful and unique based on some fiction you’ve admired, you should be able to sell that. JUST MY OPINION!

• Tom
5 Likes

I see your point. I don’t know that I’ve seen that be the case… but maybe all the original art is just at the bottom of the pile. :wink:

By this logic anyone could just start producing Calvin and Hobbes t-shirts, plush toys, etc… None of that stuff is being created by Watterson. Granted, knock-off stuff is, and while I’ve certainly purchased a shirt/stickers it was of a C&H likeness of Han Solo and Chewbacca (or “in the style of”). I wouldn’t purchase anything that was supposed to be actual C&H as we need to respect the wishes of Watterson and his decision not to create merchandise… no matter how badly we want it.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m suggesting. Clearly the © holder wants no part of that type of merchandising, or else it’d exist. So if you, or I, or anybody is so inclined, I say go for it. (NOTE: The laws of this great nation strongly disagree with me on that point. Don’t try this at home!)

1 Like