Minotaur box

Love that minimalist Minotaur. The maze is epic. Want one!

4 Likes

Nice concept! Great execution!

3 Likes

This looks like fun! Well done!

5 Likes

Loving the maze!!! These are the details I gravitate to! Well done!

5 Likes

this is amazing!

4 Likes

That is such an excellent idea and so beautifully done!

2 Likes

That’s a bunch of bull. Nice job.

3 Likes

Curious - how did you construct the maze? Is it just a stack of identical rings with the same 3 tab pattern that are rotated, or is it more complicated than that?

Also, interested in the process with the rod… Did you laser the holes so that you got perfect alignment for the glue-up? If so, back to question 1 - how did you do the tabs? I can imagine all of the discs in the stack having “36” holes in them so that you could randomly place them but perfectly center them?

Thanks for the share. I’ve been thinking about doing something along these lines for my nephews who have just discovered D&D, or a dice tower…

2 Likes

I used a maze generator:

I made an 8x16 maze, which sets some basic physical limits on the size of the maze: 8 layers tall (plus one extra for a locking system), so now I know the maze will be 8 layers tall (with .125" material, that’s 1" tall) by 2".

I knew I wanted multiple tabs to keep things better aligned, and settled on three. That means that I needed 3 copies of the identical maze. That means the entire triple maze would be 6" wide, and so that sets the overall size of the box: it needs to have a 6" circumference. From there it’s just a matter of making your layers and keeping their order straight.

As for complicated, you can see from the pictures that it’s a true maze. This was the actual pattern:

Yup. Registration holes are essential. I use 1/16" brass rods usually. I’ve documented many projects like this, you can find them here:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=%40evansd2%20brass%20in%3Afirst%20%23glowforge-project-examples

It’s a new year, so I’ll tell you the trick.

Click if you want to know. It's probably simpler than you think.

This is a single layer (number 6, to be exact):

I’m not insane, I wouldn’t try to align those by hand.

This is similar to my heavily inlaid spindle box and my space invaders box.

Heavily inlaid round box

Space Invaders box

11 Likes

Great work :slight_smile: clever design

3 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking you need to be careful of what kind of treasure is hidden in the box. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I have seen boxes like this made with a 3D printer. Now I might might try to make one with my :glowforge:! Very cool and inspirational! Thanks for posting!!

1 Like

Great design! I love that the inlay is a clue.

2 Likes

Your boxes are always delightful! Adding the maze is pretty much mind blowing!

1 Like

So clever! And perfect inlay.

1 Like

I am not sure how old something has to be to qualify for #necrogame but, just re-reading some of these write-ups on @evansd2 's fantastic boxes and, enjoying them anew.

3 Likes

Really there’s no limit, just signal boost what you like!

My original intent was more than a year since last comment, but if it’s good, it’s good. Necro at will!

5 Likes

Especially as there’s a whole slew of new :aura: folk who haven’t had the chance to see some of these cool creations!

2 Likes