Mixed media ideas

Your work is lovely! Thanks for posting a piece and for the web site links.

2 Likes

Great share thanks! Mixed media is my jam and this product would work fantastic! I wonder if it laserable?

4 Likes

It’s acrylic so I assume it is laserable but I have not confirmed that.

1 Like

I love these projects. I’m sorry if you’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but what printer are you using for your dye sublimation work?. I’ve been looking into it for the last couple weeks.

2 Likes

As a now-occasional bookbinder, jewelry designer, etc., I bought the Forge specifically to do mixed media work. I spent about 3 months chewing on the possibility of getting a dye sub setup last year and ultimately decided it was too big of an investment at the time, but I’m really looking forward to seeing more of what you do with yours.

6 Likes

Thanks! After much research, I went with a Ricoh/Sawgrass SG800 printer. It prints up to 11" x 17" or 13" x 21" with an optional bypass tray. I had a real hard time with the ROI calculations. I’m still not sure I’ll have enough work for a timely payback. I’m hoping a local screen printer will subcontract 20 or 30 coffee mugs and maybe a few socks to me per month to augment producing mugs, plaques, neckties, and a few other things with my own designs to sell in a dozen local stores.

5 Likes

Well, I’m bummed! I was waiting to watch this while I’m on vacation & now the vid seems to be private. :cry:

John, I’m looking for someone to do small run dye sub transfers for me.
I can produce my own artwork, but with my low output, it might make more economic sense to outsource the transfers to use on my own heat press.
Is this doable, and would you be interested ?
John

1 Like

Well, that’s odd. Not sure what Conde took the video down. Here’s another video from them on a very similar product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1obGOfID0rg

3 Likes

I asked my vendor about a similar scenario before I bought the printer because a local screen printer was thinking the same thing. I was told the results are better the sooner you press the transfers. Due to the nature of the sublimation inks, you don’t want to have the transfers sitting around too long. She said it would probably be fine for me to print one evening and then bring them in to the screen printer the next day for them to press it that day but wouldn’t promise anything. If you’d like to give it a test, send me a private message with the artwork and details and I’ll come up with a price for printing and shipping and we can find out whether it would work.

1 Like

Thanks John, I’ll be in touch.

1 Like

Oh dear…enablers is right. I hadn’t seen this one and it’s a good thing! :sunglasses:
(Goodbye year-end bonus.)

4 Likes

I recently read about applying a couple coats of Minwax Polycrylic to any hard flat surface and dye sublimating on to that. The inks get sublimated into the Polycrylic. I tried it on a few random pieces of scrap wood and even a sheet of corrugated cardboard. The results were very good. My favorite was this autumn photo I sublimated onto a piece of birch plywood.

I’m starting to gather other materials to try in a couple days.

Here are all the samples I did.

32 Likes

That is SO cool! I love that you are experimenting. Can’t wait to see what follows.

6 Likes

Ohhhh! that’s just gorgeous! (Patriots fan eh? Did you see that they won last night?) :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw that.

1 Like

Wow, absolutely beautiful!

2 Likes

I see custom wood jigsaw puzzles in your future!

3 Likes

Yes, in deed. I’m also working on ideas of vectorizing photos and etching the outlines over the sublimated prints.

6 Likes