Mookie the Cat

I have no idea why Mookie is named Mookie. But, my sister has been missing him so I figured I could try something new.

Mookie is engraved onto some HDF whiteboard/marker board and then cut up into a puzzle, with a few special pieces spelling out his name.

Two layers of 1/4” wood create both a puzzle tray to assemble in and then display using the awesome holders designed by @Janerlea

I had it all boxed up when I realized I may want some pictures of it. So I had the privilege of making sure it all actually went back together. It’s harder than it looks for an 80-piece Puzzle!

The engrave in process:

And put back together for a hero shot:

45 Likes

Gorgeous. :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Wow, that image is really sharp. Fantastic.

Now I think I long for Mookie too. The eyes on that cat!

3 Likes

A good picture, excellent preparation, fine tuned engrave and classy presentation adds up to a remarkable keepsake. Your sister will be pleased.

3 Likes

Cora the Cat approves.

4 Likes

What a very special gift. She’s so lucky to have such an expert for a brother! Nice cat, too.

2 Likes

Great job

2 Likes

Named after the baseball player?

1 Like

Nah. This was the OG Mookie. Mookie Betta has only been around since like 2010-2011. And I have better chances of winning the lotto than her naming a cat after a sports figure. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great gift JB! Superb image engraving.

2 Likes

he probably just looks like a mook.

2 Likes

What a great project - I’m sure she’ll love it!

2 Likes

I like the custom letter pieces. Very nice memory of Mookie.

2 Likes

The heart and paw print are really nice! Of course, having the name engraved is awesome … but, the other kicks up the detail on the frame.

Looks incredible engraved!

1 Like

That is gorgeous! My daughter would love a puzzle like that. Where could I find the specs to engrave and cut a puzzle. I have tried to do a picture before but the detail in yours is so amazing! Your sister is a very lucky girl to have such a thoughtful brother!

Any tips on cutting the puzzle pieces? I’m currently engraving 1/4 inch and would like to make it into a puzzle… the first try was awful (too many pieces) and you couldn’t see the picture after assembling the photo. (my post)
From what I read in your other posts, I’ve taken off the masking and plan to cut the piece from the back. Is that going to work or do I need to keep it 1/8 inch and smaller?
Might just stop while i’m ahead and just put it on a stand :slight_smile: