Multipass

I just had a scary thought… As you said, they’ve already figured out the settings. Does that mean one won’t be able to 3D engrave non-Proofgrade materials?

3 Likes

Nah we can 3d engrave. We just need to manually set the speed and power. Ive been testing 3d engraves all night as a matter of fact. On non-proofgrade material…

20 Likes

Thanks for that!

7 Likes

Have you done images engraving, or just text and line drawings? I have a sheet of that from laserbits, saving it for GF(don’t want to wste it on my K40).

1 Like

How have you been going about (if you have been) cleaning up the engrave. That trotec video mentioned the clean up , but not the method. Have you tried any of the chemical ( vinegar, orange hand cleaner, etc)methods to clean up the black?

1 Like

Two names for the same thing. The actual implementation is a little more complicated than just varying power, though.

8 Likes

I asked the FSL people if the Muse did 3D gray map engraves. They said it does, by running multiple constant power passes according to the levels of gray. It appears that the Forge does it more intelligently than that.

10 Likes

In my experience, orange hand cleaner is a miracle worker! Takes a bit of scrubbing, but you definitely see the difference before and after cleaning.

11 Likes

So far ive been using really soft maple. It hasnt even gotten close to charring, but thats because Ive been running it at top speed. Im still working out the best settings to use in the GF as well as grayscale color range to get the best quality out of the engraves. Im getting close. Once I get a good one ill post it up. Might be later tonight if I get lucky.

13 Likes

Thanks again for all your informative posts. You’re making us all experts by osmosis!

5 Likes

OK, that sounds good. Could we manually duplicate the results of the “production” GF 3D engrave by appropriate choice of settings (trial and error, if necessary) or are there other features built into the GF 3D feature, like variable cutting speed, number of passes, focus, etc.?

By “production”, I mean the way that GF releases it to owners as a working feature, undersanding that future improvements may be possible or even likely.

3 Likes

For a split second, I thought you had 2 Glowforges and I was confused. Then it hit me. :upside_down:

1 Like

Ive posted a few image engraves on here. Did you see the bioshock/stranger things thread?

1 Like

23 Likes

Apologies, I don’t follow?

Pretty sure the question is: ‘Not using the “3D engrave” option on the cut/3D engrave/engrave/score menu, could we achieve the same results by choosing manual engrave instead.’

@takitus explained my question. Basically, I’m wondering if we can manually do 3D engraves in case GF has trouble automating the process. In order to do that we have to have access to all the parameters and settings that the GF 3D engrave has access to. For example if the GF 3D engrave feature can continuously vary the head speed during the engrave, that would be a feature that could not be duplicated by the user in a manual engrave.

I understand that manual 3D engraving wouldn’t be optimum compared to GF’s automatic 3D engrave.

5 Likes

You’ll be able to do 3D engraves in manual mode. (That’s the only way we do them right now!)

Will we someday cook up some clever material-specific tweak that’s encoded into Proofgrade settings but not exposed in manual mode? I have no idea, but I don’t expect so.

11 Likes

Thanks for that!

2 Likes