My first project after testing the GF a few days, personalized name puzzle

Hi there. I got my GF one week ago and last night I wanted to try to make something for my friends 3 year old daughter. I wanted to make something personal, so the idea was to make this simple puzzle with her name. I used PG medium maple plywood for this. Designed in PowerPoint. Did this really quick, but happy with the end result. And the feedback from both parents the 3year old was amazing. They loved it. Will surely make more of these, and hopefully I will find other designs in the forums. I’ve never browsed in here before, so really looking forward to seeing all the amazing thing that are being made with GF.

Would also love to get suggestions for kids toys that are simple to customize and to put together, as well as improvements for these kind of puzzles. I have no skills regarding design, and have only used simple tools as PowerPoint, word etc to design so far.

62 Likes

It comes out really nice!!! Congratulations.

2 Likes

Great concept and wonderful color work! You’re off on a wonderful adventure!

4 Likes

Very clever. If this is the product without design skills, I look forward to seeing what you do with a little experience in Inkscape or Affinity Design.

4 Likes

Beautiful design…and I love the muted, somewhat rustic colors.

2 Likes

I think you did really well! Looking forward to more of your work.

1 Like

So cute!

1 Like

Great way to start motor skills and name spelling.

2 Likes

Very cool. Did you use paint, markers or something else for the color?

2 Likes

I used waterpaint just to see what it would look like with colors. But I need a better solution. Any suggestions on what I should use to color this PG plywood?

That’s a tough one - I didn’t read closely enough the first time to know you used proofgrade. Unless you use the basswood plywood, the proofgrade has a thick finish already applied. So you are basically coloring over a protective coating. IIRC I have seen some other examples, but don’t recall many specifics. Have you tried a Sharpie or other marker?

1 Like

Ok, this was medium maple plywood. I have not tried with a marker/sharpie. Will buy a pack with different colors tomorrow and test it. Will post an update here if it works. :slight_smile:

How do you make something like this?! Is it just two pieces of wood sandwiched together?

1 Like

It’s two identical rectangles glued together. I painted the bottom with dark brown paint to make the cuts stand out, and even if you loose the letter pieces you can use the board as a name sign.

The top board is engraved with letters cut out. And I cut some small round knobs and glued them to each letter.

3 Likes

Thanks so much!!!

1 Like

That is really a great project!

1 Like

Really adorable and unique! I think you’ve got a natural talent for this.

1 Like

I really like the final product! It’s really cute! What did you use to color and seal it?

Q:

A:

1 Like

The cutest name puzzle ever! The animals add so much to it. Lovely work!

1 Like