My forever machine

I did another chat this morning to UPS so I could let them know my apartment number. They said that since it is on the truck for delivery, they could update the address, but it could cause a delay… I told them to not delay the shipping, and I would just flag down the driver or something. They said they might just be able to call the driver instead.
This is annoying. I gave Glowforge my correct address. I figure the address was too long, and maybe it didn’t all get transferred.
Ill tell all you guys how it goes today

7 Likes

" it may cause a delay"
“A WHAT!? You don’t want to go there”.

8 Likes

Is it possible to put a large note for UPS on the door of the building, specifying your last name + unit number (or phone number, or whatever helpful but-not-too-personal info might help to get that machine delivered correctly)?

1 Like

How the building is laid out, I don’t think that could work. Ill just wait around until I see the truck.

You called it! The email to the shipping notice was 14 days. The shipping notice was yesterday, and I should be getting it today.

5 Likes

Mine was 15 days. I JUST got my shipping notice, and I got the initial email on the 12th.

Initial email to scheduled delivery for me should be 19 days. Great job Glowforge!

2 Likes

UPS is one of the least customer friendly companies I have to deal with on a regular basis. Instead of looking at that as an opportunity to get it right the first time, they’re looking at it as an exception to their process and a delay inducer. Even that shouldn’t be the case because you’re not changing it in a way that would cause it to have to go on a different truck/route - just to the right apartment in the building they’re heading to with it anyway.

I had an issue where they lost a 3D printer on me. Claimed they delivered it. They didn’t. They “proved” they did based on GPS tracking of the truck. We went back & forth and I finally had to escalate it to HQ. Then they found it at my neighbor’s - the house was undergoing some renovation so no one was living there but they dropped it off & the contractor stuck it in a room thinking the owners would come and get it or would need it when the renovations were done. GPS coordinates were “close enough” for UPS to declare it the same address (I’m in a suburb with 200 foot frontage on all the lots so it’s not that close enough).

At any rate, they decided I had to pick up all future packages at the depot because I was a “security risk”. Because they had mis-delivered, I was going to have to pay a penalty going forward. I get packages nearly every day (I’m a big Amazon Prime guy :slight_smile:) so that wasn’t going to work. It wasn’t until I ran it back up to the president’s office that they backed down.

14 Likes

ah, that is some b s

I just got a shipping email from Glowforge! They gave me tracking numbers, and a link to the shop! Also some reminders that I should use two people to get the machine out of the box.

11 Likes

Woohoo! Welcome to the happy dance club :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So the boxes were on my porch when I got home… A half hour before the four hour delivery window. Luckily the boxes looked pretty fine, except the box was on its side.
I took the box in, and opened it up. I moved the glowforge to the table and read the manual for setup instructions. Opening the machine I can see a problem. I dont want to get into the issue until I hear back from support. Hopefully everything is good, because this thing is huge, and I dont really want to have to box it up, and ship it back. :frowning:

9 Likes

I should tag support for my issue too. @Rita

2 Likes

Ouch! Sorry about that. Hopefully everything is ok.

2 Likes

yeah, me too. It looks pretty good actually, I might be worried about nothing. If I dont hear back from support, I may just start it up as nothing looks busted or wet.

7 Likes

Crossing fingers for you. Hope it’s easily fixed!

4 Likes

I was able to make a founder’s ruler, but it didn’t cut all the way through, and the etching was pretty light. It may have been my settings, I don’t know. The lid camera is pretty blurry, and doesn’t read the QR code.
The ruler is totally accurate, compared to other rulers.

4 Likes

Good to hear it’s functional, but sad to hear about the camera. Hopefully there’s a simple solution.

1 Like

Did you select the material from the list and use the default settings or did you manually enter some settings. Even if it can’t read the QR you can use default settings from ProofGrade. That also fills in the correct focus height and sharpens everything (just in case you were doing it all in manual and didn’t have right thickness height for material).

3 Likes

It didn’t read the material, so I selected maple hardwood from the list. There was no maple plywood selection, so I figured this was the one to pick. I didn’t check to see if the height setting was right. I’ll check next week when my schedule frees up.

3 Likes

The interface is not obvious for selecting the correct materials. If it is not in the drop down list all you have to do is type “Maple” in the search box above the list and all of the Maple selections will appear.

Yes, the correct speed for Proofgrade Maple Plywood is not as fast as that for Hardwood. It’s only 74% as fast. Not surprising it did not cut all of the way through.

11 Likes