My forever machine

I’m curious about the smoke in the room. I do not have any smoke in my room nor smell. If I don’t have a tight seal or the screen gets clogged outside, there is backup. If you see smoke in the room, that is different from me. One way to check is darken the room and get a flashlight to see where it is coming from. I’ve localized in that way before. Do you have flaps on the vent or any backdraft obstruction. How many corner turns do you have in the hose?

5 Likes

I have not had any issues with it getting smoky in the room when I keep the lid closed all the way through the cool down period. I have had some mild headaches when doing long sessions (like several hours) of leather cutting.

What you’re describing sounds a bit more extreme than what I have experienced. Can you shore up your vent settings a bit more? And perhaps an email to support, just to be safe?

1 Like

I have two 90 degree bends, straight up and then out. The tube goes to a vent, which has three angled vents. I can move the forge away from the wall more, to reduce the angles.

I guess it isn’t so smokey, but is definitely smelly. I think the lid might be a cause of the smells. The lid is real tight against the right side, and the left corner isn’t flush to the top. I place a weight on that side to make it sit better. I have told support about these things.

2 Likes

I’ll try sealing things better all around. I might be extra sensitive to the smells because it is in my crafting room, and it usually smells nice in there.

1 Like

The lid isn’t going to be the problem because there is negative pressure in the GF, but the connections where the hose connects behind the GF is the most likely place. Check there first. :blush:

4 Likes

That’s true. At least for my unit. Still, the negative pressure only lasts as long as the primary exhaust fans are running. Smoke can accumulate under the material and stay there for quite some time. When the fans shut off, the material is lifted or even if the seal isn’t complete the smoke/smell will find a way into the room.

If the smell happens during the cut I would definitely suspect the vent connections.

4 Likes

Definitely happening during the cut. Ill check the venting.

1 Like

Negative pressure in the machine, but every joint and seam downstream is under slight pressure. I had trouble finding it in a 20’ run, so I silicone sealed everything. Nailed it somewhere.

1 Like

I purchased a heavy duty hose, but it was getting pinched when I tightened it to the GF. It was the reason the room got smokey. I went back and used the supplied hose and clamps, and they do a great job. I have not been able to make things due to being so busy, but I was able to make my button cover!

40 Likes

nice. also seems like your button is more centered.

3 Likes

The button on this PRU is also.

2 Likes

Love it! :sunglasses::thumbsup:

1 Like

Adorable! Really cute idea!

1 Like

yeah i only mention it because there was a production picture with it offcentered as i recall :smiley:

3 Likes

What a fun design! Nice job!

1 Like

That is such an original and cool design. It looks real good on your Glowforge.

1 Like

Yes, there was a pic with it offset quite a bit.

1 Like

Love the design

1 Like

My wife collects portable typewriters. People know this and some have asked her to repair their broken ones. Two weeks ago, she brought home this broken Hermes 3000 with beautiful cursive script font. There is a man who is 102 years old, and uses this machine to type letters to his family on a pretty regular basis. The tension cable that moves the carriage had come off the spool, and needed to be re-wound and re-attached. She is confidant enough to undertake this endeavor.
She was able to track down information and fix the machine, with just a little bit of help from me. With the deadline looming, I decided to make a cosmetic fix to the clear paper guard. I took measurements and photos of the original, and duplicated it the best I could using the Glowforge. The end result is not the exact shape as the original, but certainly works well, and looks better than the busted one that had fallen off.
Sorry for the crummy photos, it was in a rush to get delivered on time. I assure you it looked like a perfectly cut and embossed clear acrylic part.
I am sure the customer and his family will be happy with the results!

26 Likes

You’re right…that is MUCH better! Great job! :grinning:

5 Likes