My glowforge shows offline, but is clearly on?

The button not on means that at least it is connected to your wireless.

@Jules steps (specifically logging out of the app.glowforge.com site while the GF :glowforge: is off) will force the GF :glowforge: to reconnect to the servers and report its status.

Also, if you are comfortable with logging into your wireless router, see if it identifies your GF (IP Address and MAC address). That will confirm that the GF and the router are talking.

Try unplugging the machine, wait a minute, then plug it back in and proceed with step 7. Youā€™re going to reboot the machine.

(Oh, the machine needs to be on before step 7.)

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ Iā€™ve gone through with Juleā€™s steps for resetting the printer. The
light turned teal, the machine was shut off, the head repositioned and the
machine turned back on.

When logged back in to the app, it still reads as ā€œofflineā€.

Okay, unfortunately youā€™re going to have to either send Support an email about it, or start a new topic in this Category. They donā€™t see it when folks tack on to an existing post, but they do see a new topic that gets created and they will start a ticket for your machine. They might need to reset something on their end, and they have the ability to analyze our machines remotely.

Sorry that wasnā€™t more help.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t the button glow Teal when itā€™s ready to start the Wifi connect process? If you just shut it off and didnā€™t go through the new wifi setup you would stay offline.

1 Like

Okay. Iā€™m going through the setup again. The problem occurs when trying
to connect the GF to wifi. This message appears:

While trying to setup your Glowforge, it became no longer reachable or
responded in an unexpected way. Please make sure you are connected to the
Glowforge wifi network and click Restart Setup.

If this keeps happening, please contact us support@glowforge.com

We tried using the same network that it was working on and that didnā€™t
work. We also tried another another network thatā€™s set up for our space
and that didnā€™t seem to work either.

Did you try moving the router closer to the machine for the first setup?

(Wifi issues confuse me, but several other people have had it fire up when they tried that.)

Reconnecting the GF to the wifi failed after several attempts. I went
back, turned it off and on again and began holding the button down to
trigger the restart. Before it got to the teal color, I heard a clicking
coming from the GF, so I let go of the button and confirmed that it was
calibrating the head. Itā€™s connected again. Iā€™m just not sure what
resolved the issue.

1 Like

Hot diggety dog! Take 'em where you can get 'em. (You might have a slow connection and need to wait a little longer before it starts. It does display that ā€œcanā€™t calibrateā€ message on the app, which is really confusing. Give it a little longer to try to start calibrating - it might just need a little time.) :grinning:

1 Like

Just FYI. They sent a firmware update today to take care of some calibration issues. People have reported calibration running more than once before settling down. You may or may not have received it. It downloads after a restart and takes some time. The GF might just sit still for a couple minutes.

Okay, so the firmware updates occur without me needing to take any action?

Yup. It will download when you turn the unit on. If itā€™s been on, give it a power cycle and it will download automatically.

1 Like

Yes they are automatic and usually not noticeable. But if you get used to a calibration cycle and it does it differently or takes a little extra time a lot of people get impatient, power cycle the unit, and then it has to do it again. They might mistake it for a fault. Just need a little more patience. A couple extra minutes.

2 Likes

I lost a tooth doing thisā€¦ thanks for taking me back.

Iā€™m on my third GF - this one seems to have lots of problems appearing ā€œofflineā€ - I hope I donā€™t have to ship back a third time!