My take on the Cryptex

So here is my very first post. I was also inspired by the cryptex here: https://youtu.be/OAgdxRz9CXs as many others. This is my take.

I wanted to focus on some of the materials and minor changes that would make it more my style. I also wanted to challenge myself with a more complex build to really try and challenge my ideas of what could be made on a glow forge.

The creation process for me is a different one as I have a condition called Aphantasia. This means I have no minds eye and cannot visualize anything. So when I built this, I had to simply start printing some of the original designs just so I could touch them and start to understand how this would work. I printed several rings just to understand them and make minor modifications.

This is one of my early prints so I am really still learning. But the glowforge opens up some new doors for me to create things that really make me happy. I have been so impressed (and inspired) by others that I thought I would post some of my work and experience so that someone, like me, might see it and say wow, that looks fun. Thanks to everyone else for sharing.

74 Likes

Welcome @neteeyore. What a beautifully precise build. Thanks so much for sharing the story.

4 Likes

Welcome, good build.

1 Like

Wow, this is cool!!

2 Likes

Very nice and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Welcome. Your first post is impressive (many of us shared the Gift of Good Measure) as a comparison. Well done.

1 Like

This is awesome @neteeyore! Welcome to the forum - and so courageous of you to try one of these. Very intricate to figure out.

2 Likes

What a fantastic first post. This cryptex is awesome. Love the modifications you did with this. I have started this project a few times, and only got as far as making a few test rings after resizing from mm to imperial. It’s still sitting in a box in my workshop. I really love the acrylic internal chamber, and I may just borrow this idea. Also really like the alternating colors on each dial. Great project!!!

4 Likes

Yes, my original was wood, but the acrylic was a great contrast and then you can see what is in the box right away. Also made is smooth, so it slides more easily. Also used hidden bolts to hold it together so I could change this easily.

3 Likes

Oh, I printed that too. :grinning: I have a long way to go, but thank you.

You might also notice in one picture the acrylic is cloudy. I made rookie mistake of using super glue. Fortunately I designed it to allow me to replace it with one bolt,

1 Like

Wow, you did a stellar job on that!

1 Like

It looks fantastic. I wanted to do a Cryptex, but haven’t had the patience. Great way to get started!

4 Likes

It’s beautiful in the two different woods! Wow!

This morning I was thinking that I have less than a month to do something for my husband’s birthday. A Cryptex has been on my mind. Not sure I’ll have time for this year … but, will use two different woods when I do! Beautiful!

1 Like

I was going to try to replicate the one on instructables just to try it. yours is pretty.

8 Likes

Amazing something like this never would have crossed my mind if it wasnt for you. I need one of these i my life, off to the store to pick up some more supplies.

1 Like

@Aloha, the one you pointed out on the Instructables was the one I was going to make, but I really loved the fact that the one I made had the ability to change the code and change the size. If i print more rings, it will be longer; if I want a shorter one, take out a few rings. Easily adaptable. But I do love the one you linked. I may make that some time as well.

2 Likes

Really nice, love the two tone colours on the rights. I’m pleased people are still finding that project useful.

4 Likes

Thank you. The community and sharing are a big part of why I am doing this. Having designs that helped me to think out new ideas, especially with Aphantasia. Having projects like this to help me learn and grow are critical. As I spend more time with the tools they start to translate to things I can design myself.

1 Like

Really like the acrylic and wood design and also the dark and light woods.

Here was my take on it :wink: Last one in the Cryptex family : The Magical Cryptex

1 Like