Neat little video on improving engrave contrast

Have a friend that uses a nebulizer? They will have these at every use. Perfect for one use and throw away of dye or epoxy etc or use the Glowforge to make your own caps for them

1 Like

I have tons of fun finding things to mix with epoxy for woodturning projects. (Cinnamon, coffee, peppercorns…). When I start engraving… someday… I can’t wait to see what I can do to make my work “pop” using this kind of technique.

(I wonder how well food coloring would work…)

Bookmarked. I’m amazed that that didn’t bleed because of the wetting effect of the alcohol. Definitely going to try this.

I am going to experiment with this as I work with alcohol ink which is reeeeeeeeeeeally all that is. Your finish that you lay on will have to not be effected by alcohol. I will assume that this would need to be a solvent or oil based finish and not a waterbased one… I actually have stuff already cut and the proofgrade I will try it out in a few because I would love to know too.

Any idea how the surface coat is applied or even what it is?

This is really great. Have you tried with regular diluted black ink?

“Ugh back to the store I guess, no one told me I would need to pick up 20 other hobby craft supplies for my laser cutter. :stuck_out_tongue:

One can NEVER have too many craft supplies wahahahahaha

3 Likes

Old thread, but it seemed worth reviving! I’ve successfully used the “vinegaroon*” mix to do this, as well. You can see the results on my Catan hexes.

*(vinegar plus #000 steel wool, let it sit for a few days, then use it for aging wood or dying leather grey / black)

1 Like

I never thought it would happen. I think there should be a badge for it!

3 Likes

Of all the techy/crafty toys I have bought — no one warned me it NEEDED all these extra essentials … Silhouette cutting machine, 3D printer (and that it would soon have a brother and a close cousin because they don’t print as fast as you think…all that filament! and of course the new kids on the block don’t use the same size filament)… and then enters the Glowforge …

2 Likes

@rubbersoul79 alcohol inks?!!! oh where oh where did I stash all those Tim Holtz alcohol inks??? If you have any handy, can I get a peek at what you have done with them?

I had read somewhere some whining between the top readers on the forum that early forum pioneers have read posts that are no longer available, so the newer users can’t catch up completely. I’m not sure how that could happen and I’m nowhere close to getting there. :wink:

2 Likes

WAY cool. Thank you for sharing.

This is very similar to my technique for cnc engraving painting.

2 Likes

There were a bunch of posts about error messages in ordering a Glowforge and asking for refunds and odds and ends. Those disappeared. I hadn’t quite gotten OCD about posts yet. Let them go man, let them go.

2 Likes

LOL. Long ago did let them go. I don’t know how you @geek2nurse @Jules @jamesdhatch and others get all of that fabulous work done and still contribute so much to the forum.

4 Likes

We have a sickness. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Upvote for NO CURE to be found in this case. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This is awesome sauce!