Network connection

I am having a problem getting the Glowforge to connect to our internet. If I use my phone to create a Hot Spot, it works every time. Because we use a WPA-2 protocol even our open internet connection does not work. It would not be a problem if we could connect a network cable to the Glowforge, I think. This issue is related to security.

You are correct on both points. Are you looking for a workaround or just trying to make the suggestion to implement WPA2?

This thread may be of some help:

Hi Tom, I am looking for a work around that uses a connection other than the phone.

Each time we try we get device error when we choose our wireless open connection. The phone hot spot will not do this.

We hope to proliferate these machines throughout the company but this network, cloud, wireless connection is a problem. Hate to have to pick another engraver but our IS dept rules on these issues.

Sure. So understand there is no solution… only workarounds. I’d suggest setting up another SSID that uses WEP. Since it’ll be the only thing connecting to it, you can restrict the usage of that to the MAC address of your Glowforge.

Thank you sir, I’m on it.

Are you saying WPA2 is not supported, only WEP? Surely not, nobody uses WEP any more, it was cracked many years ago.

WPA2 is definitely supported. I’m currently using WPA2 but was using an open network before.

2 Likes

Nope! I have no idea what protocols are supported. Just that the OP had issue with it, so…
Besides, I thought WPA2 was cracked as well I recall?

My WiFi uses WPA2 and the GF had no issues connecting.

“Even baby know how to crack WPA2.” - Boris Badinoff

WPA2 Personal (where everyone shares the same password) is supported. WPA2 Enterprise (where everyone uses a separate username/password) is not yet supported. :frowning:

2 Likes

Glowforge supports 2.4GHz WPA2 Personal or Open networks. It will not work with WPA2 Enterprise networks, or networks that require interaction with a landing page. You mentioned that you’ve had trouble connecting even when using an Open network, so I’d like to investigate further.

Could you please do the following for me?

1. Reboot your Glowforge
  2. Put the unit into Wi-Fi setup mode by pressing down the button until it turns teal
  3. Connect your computer to the Glowforge Wi-Fi network you see
  4. Visit the following URL in your browser: http://192.168.192.1:3000/logs/glowforge/zip
  5. A .zip file should download to your computer. Please reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network and email the .zip file to support@glowforge.com (or use a file hosting site and send us the link, if it is too large to attach)

I’ll be happy to take a look and follow up by email. Thank you in advance!

1 Like