New Glowforge Pro - Top Camera Not Detecting Proofgrade QR Codes

Hi There! I just got my glowforge today and noticed that the top camera is pretty out of focus. I then started using the provided proofgrade material but the application wasn’t able to pick up the QR code.

Searching the forums I did find a few instances of this happening previously but all were closed as being resolved without a lot of details (I believe an app/firmware upgrade?).

I’m still able to manually select my material type and print without issue, but I wasn’t sure if there was anything I could do to adjust the focus?

Thanks!

The focus (ie clarity) doesn’t have to be too exceptional to read the QR codes. A screenshot here though might help support deem whether it’s acceptable or not.

As far as it reading, a lot of times these stickers catch glare from either overhead lighting or being in just the right place for the interior LEDs to reflect off of it.

The QR code should read in any orientation. If it’s the interior lights, you can even flip the board 180 putting the QR at the top left (upside down).

If it’s overhead lighting causing glare, you can try rotating the board, or reducing the overhead lighting.

At some point, they are supposed to go to UV-printed labels, which should eliminate the issue.

4 Likes

Appreciate the response. I’ll experiment a bit tomorrow to see if it’s a consistent issue and take some photos to post back.

1 Like

David I’m having the same issue with the camera focus and the QR code not being read. Frustrating

You’ll want to start your own topic in P&S so they can work on your issue, unless you have already emailed them then they will get back to you that way. They only handle one per thread so just posting in this one will not get you the support you need.

2 Likes

Mine were reading about 25% of the time, but I always click on the drop down now so I don’t even notice whether it does or not any more

The image gets much clearer for the user once you’ve done the set focus

Hello @david.william.wilt, I am so sorry you ran into trouble! @michael16, please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com and we will be more than happy to look into that for you. Would you mind wiping off the wide-angle camera on the lid of your Glowforge?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Using a Zeiss wipe, gently wipe the lens of the wide angle camera on the unit’s lid.
  3. Place Proofgrade material in the bed with the QR code facing up.
  4. Close the lid and turn your Glowforge back on.
  5. Open any design in the Glowforge app.

If Proofgrade material is still not recognized, please let me know and we’ll investigate further.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Have tried the suggestions more than once. The code remains blurry. I continue to get a message that I am not using Proof Grade materials, despite I only have the materials that came with the GF Pro? :(:confused:

So this has been incredibly hit or miss for me so far. However, I do believe it’s working now. I’m not sure why it would help necessarily but I did go through the entire calibration process and it does seem to be picking up 90% of the materials I’m putting in the machine. Going great other than this! @michael16 give the calibration a try.

1 Like

Let me find the Calibration Instructions and I’ll give it a try. Thanks

Mine reads the code less times than more…and I don’t even worry about it anymore. I just find the material in the drop down menu. Yes…perhaps an extra step…but no big deal.

I worry that GF will not honor the warranty if they pull the files and it looks like Non-Proof Grade Materials were used. And declare that was the cause of the problem. They are clear that not using their Proof Grade materials are at your own risk and that can be grounds to void the warranty

1 Like

They have never made any sort of indication that this is true - I mean, if your machine burns up because you used copper and paper and walked away - sure, but they have never indicated that they won’t do a warranty service on a machine that is broken in some other way

3 Likes

That’s true. What they can’t do is support non-PG material. So if you have a problem printing on pumpkin pie but if you have the same problem on PG ply they’ll be able to help figure out what happened.

2 Likes

Hello Kathan

I have been given the same instructions several times know. I am following them. However, the problem has not corrected so far.

Michael

Read your warranty

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act doesn’t allow them to deny warranty coverage simply because you used consumables not provided by them unless they were directly causal to the problem you’re seeking coverage for.

So if you use some other plywood and the GF dies from a power supply failure, it’s covered. But if you tried to laser a Gatorade bottle (full) and it caused a spill inside the unit that shorted out the power supply, then they could refuse to cover that as a warranty repair.

3 Likes

It’s actually the opposite. They give an additional warranty while using PG materials and PG settings. If you are using non-PG materials, or PG materials with non-PG settings, your machine is not warranted for damage that the materials may cause. Catching fire, formation of HCl, etc.

A warranty covering damage by any materials is pretty much unheard of in the laser market.

2 Likes

By the way, you need to start your own trouble ticket for the issues you are having. Kathan’s suggestions were for the original poster; they only address one individual per thread.

1 Like

Hi @david.william.wilt, thank you for taking the time to try the steps my colleague Kathen had sent you. If this happens again, you can always select your material – here’s how:

• Click “Unknown” on the left-hand side of the Workspace
  • Type the name of the Proofgrade material in the search bar
  • Select the correct Proofgrade material

@michael16 if you are still experiencing trouble we are more then happy to help you. You can start your own thread, or you can write support@glowforge.com.