Here is the whole timeline, forums lack tone of voice, I am saddened here (not usually a negative person), I am hopeful there is a solution and willing to take suggestions.
- Bought Glowforge on 10/13/2015 on kickstarter
- Waited a few years…
- Finally arrives on 1/19/2018…
- To make sure its got the proper power supply I hired an electrician to run new lines to my office on its own breaker, properly grounded, no surge protector (like the manual says) with all the watts it could ever need.
- Then I had a pro put in an exhaust vent in the proper place to meet all requirements in the manual by installing a brand new window.
- then I try to connect it and TO MY HORROR there is NO CABLE
- So I read through the FAQ and see that this is WIFI only… (for the first time)
- My computer is Eternet direct line, so I go to best buy and buy a router and a WiFi card and install them.
- I then test the Wifi network on my phone and computer by disconnecting the eternet to make 1000% sure that WiFi works.
- I then FINALLY power up the Glowforge…
- It runs its power cycle, button starts to glow teal/blue
- I click connect on http://app.glowforge.com/setup
- I connect to the Glowforge, add my WIFI credentials as WPA2
- 5 times in a row I get the following error message:
While trying to setup your Glowforge, it became no longer reachable or responded in an unexpected way. Please make sure you are connected to the Glowforge wifi network and click Restart Setup.
- So I try 802.11(b),(g) and (n), then compatibility mode b/g/n, WPA, WPA2, WPSK, open (no password)
- that’s a total of 13 try’s. Nothing.
- I turned off the GF and sent a message to support.
- I then came here to the forums to see if anyone else had this problem, sure enough there are at least 3 posts so I decide to try out their solutions.
- I go to power on the GF and it power up, but the button never glows and its not visible on WiFi either to my phone, my tablet, nor my computer with its brand new WiFi stick.
I am absolutely horrified that this $4000 machine does NOT HAVE A CABLE OPTION. Not only do I not want to send 1gig print jobs over Wifi, I also do NOT want everyone in the neighborhood to see the SSID of my laser cutter nor do I want hackers randomly attacking it.
My mind is blown. I am heartbroken and feel tricked and betrayed.
I am trying to put all that aside and salvage the investment or get it working.
Here is what I want to know:
1- Has anyone returned their Glowforge? If so, how many people?
2- Anyone else with this same problem (the WiFi connection)? And if so, did you resolve it?
3- Anyone else bothered by the fact this has no direct wire connection or alternative?
4- Anyone else bothered by the severe insecurity and irresponsibility of making this WiFi only? (mostly a question for Kickstarter buyers, was WiFi only a surprise to you? it was to me, that FAQ did not exist when I bought in…)
5- Is there a support phone number?
6- I might sell this (WiFi only does not meet my needs and was not a stipulation during Kickstarter)… if you are interested post your contact info, (I will not send you a broken model, I will get it replaced tested and working first)