Nintendo Switch

I keep checking my home security camera to see if FedEx showed up

I dare say it’s more about the quality of your girlfriend. First remarks 12 hours in – she’s a keeper! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

The switch was sold out at my local bestbuy, target, and gamestop. They all had lots of copies of Zelda left for switch. Only gamestop had a copy of zelda for me for WiiU, and I got one of their last two. They were telling people that shipped online orders (of the switch) should show up on monday.

1 Like

What I’ve found around here is the number of units carried varied wildly, and seemed to be almost random, some of your bigger stores had very few, some of the smaller ones had more. I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt about the NES classic, though it would be in character to purposely short the market, and say they just didn’t realize the demand. But ever since the Wii went over the top Nintendo has never had a hardware release where they came close to meeting the demand in the first two months. When Microsoft and Sony can do it no problem, I don’t think it’s a natural phenomenon with Nintendo. They are trying to create scarcity and manufacture a sense of hysteria around their product. Just my 2 cents. Of course, I could just be ticked off at myself for not pre-ordering :smile:

1 Like

it’s comical that there are plenty of accessories (additional controllers, chargers, etc,) just no consoles to use them with :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never understood how creating scarcity benefits Nintendo. It benefits the secondary market more than anything. I suppose the added hype could bump their stock up? I heard that happened when the Classic came out.

I thought that Nintendo was still recovering from the poor sales of the Wii U and whatever the last Gameboy was, and as such it makes sense that they be a bit gun shy about producing too many units on a new system, regardless of hype.

1 Like

Just my guess, but any time a major player puts out their next major console then all chips are on the table. Yes the WiiU tanked, and I have concerns about the Switch (can’t Nintendo come up with any better names :confused: ), but I would almost guarantee that the lack of consoles in the store has nothing to do with timidity about what sales might be. If there’s a logical reason (other than forces scarcity) it would be that manufacturing was delayed till the last possible moment and now it’s a pipeline problem. Since these companies set their own timeframes and don’t release details till rather late, I don’t know if that reason even floats.

Add to the fact there’s a tier one release title (which neither wii nor wiiU had) and they had to know there would at least be moderate demand.

I’ll quit whining now so you guys can play Zelda… :cry:

Zelda was a launch title for Wii… just sayin’.

There is something to be said for that though… I wouldn’t have cared about the Switch until Zelda was released.

2 Likes

Was it for the Wii, or didn’t they just release what was originally developed for the game cube? I guess it was sort of like Spirit of the Wild, it covered two consoles at once. If I remember right it was originally developed for the game cube and then ported to the wii at launch. I’ve been under the impression that SOW was intended from the beginning for next gen (switch) but made sure to scale down for wiiU. Then again, I could be pulling all this out of my butt…it’s been a long day to start what will be a long week :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

.[quote=“dwardio, post:82, topic:6281”]
your girlfriend
[/quote]
She is awesome. She bought me the WiiU as a surprise gift… but also so that she could play Super Smash Bros.

which is sad, because it is a fine system. It has so much potential that they just never tapped into very well. Backward compatibility with existing games and controllers was pretty awesome. Very few games seem to use the gamepad screen as anything other than an alternate monitor.
It is aldo a great way to access Netflix and Hulu (as is the original wii).

5 Likes

Yea, the hardware for me doesn’t seem that exciting (of course I’m just looking from a distance), but Zelda is Zelda after all!

1 Like

I think part of the problem the WiiU had was the lag time it took to get their top first party games to the console (it’s just now getting Zelda as it dies), and then the lack of third party support because of hardware limitations. Have to admit I’m a little scared for the switch on that second front, but initially there seem to be more third party interest in the platform.

2 Likes

Wiki says it was originally developed for Cube and then delayed so that it could launch the Wii. Breath of the Wild was supposed to be released for Wii U two years ago. So it seems that the new hardware tends to catch up to the games before they get released. :wink:

I would revise my statement a bit… now that I know that Blaster Master comes out this week, I would have been sad to miss out on the Switch at launch.

haha my girlfriend did almost the same thing! “I got you a present, Its smash brothers, Im gonna go play now”

6 Likes

I watched someone on Twitch who put like 20 hours into the game and barely made a dent in the quests. Just wandered around the huge world doing random stuff. Sure made me want to get a Switch.
But I just bought Ghost Recon Wildlands which will save me several hundred dollars until Mass Effect Andromeda comes out in about 2 weeks.

Maybe when Nintendo redoes the Switch in some way will get it then. The “Light” Switch?

2 Likes

Dang it, keep using the reply to someone rather then the general reply. I hate that placement :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Can you change a post response to universal using an edit?
I’m about to find out.

Doesn’t look like it.

Got my Switch last night!

God I’m in love. Legend of Zelda is beautiful. It is everything I’ve been waiting for since Skyward Sword (one of my favorites in the series even though lots of people hated the motion controls)

I streamed last night and I am probably going to do more over the next few days if anyone is interested in that kind of thing!

twitch.tv/dunfee

5 Likes

Our worlds collide.

http://nerdist.com/navigate-through-zeldas-hyrule-with-this-wooden-map/

11 Likes