Nixie IN-14 leg / spacer

I have a Nixie tube clock, unfortunately the tubes sometimes fail and though the board has sockets for the IN-14 legs, the legs are quite often slightly bent or just angled incorrectly making it hard to insert the tube.

I made a variety of acrylic (3mm translucent pale blue) guides. I went from 0.5/0.6/0.7/0.8/0.9/1.0/1.1/1.2/1.5/2.0 mm so I could easily insert in the 2.0mm guide and gradually ensure the legs were straighter with decreasing hole size.

I created these in Fusion360, exported the layer as a DXF, then used a web DXF->SVG, then opened in Affinity Designer and added the text and ensured the outer cut was exactly 18.5mm.

Would be great if there was a way to go straight from F360 → Glowforge (while maintaining the original sizing too)

15 Likes

Nice result. I am sure many would agree that it would be great to go directly from Fusion 360 to the Glowforge.

Didn’t someone post a way to do that?

Maybe it was this?

Or this

1 Like

You can by exporting a PDF from F360.

1 Like

That was my thought. I have used PDF from their Slicer…

I go straight from Fusion 360 to my glowforge all the time.

How?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen sockets for IN-14s. On my clock they are just soldered in place, which is fairly painless to do.

Not sure what this is in response to.

The IN-14 is designed for solder-in-place, the IN-8 is the equivalent for socket mount.

They were originally supplied with spacers similar to what the OP has made here, but most available today come without them. They did appear to mis-use the word “socket” to describe the board holes.

Yes, I’m aware it’s solder in place. OP said that he was inserting the IN-14 into sockets. As he said, these are not to replace the original spacers (which my case of IN-14s had), but to straighten the legs for insertion with decreasing hole size.

I will add, that if you need to insert the IN-14s for soldering, there is a really easy method. It’s to start at one of the leads and start trimming each one in succession as you work your way around them. You’ll end up with a vertical spiral of leads so you can insert the longest one first, followed by the next one, etc. Super quick and easy.

Sorry for the delay. I use the Manufacture Workspace in Fusion 360 to create the toolpaths I want. Then, I output them via the Glowforge Colorific post processor. It turns the toolpaths into an SVG that the Glowforge UI can read. Search for Colorific in this forum for more info about the post processor

You can get “pin sockets” that allow the IN-14 to be pushed in rather than soldered