No Foolin'

Slightly embarrased to say that I have never tried the Trace function. Just don’t care about it. Even the first day when I was told by the manual to do it, I went on to something else.

12 Likes

It’s pretty cool. If I had better artistic skills I’d use it a lot.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing with it today (I made a bunch of happy face coins out of Proofgrade maple :grinning:). Beacause I want to do autotracing of some of my paper crafting images, where an existing image would be perfectly cut out around the perimeter. That’s how the Brother Scan-n-cut works. But it hasn’t been going that well–the outline that is cut is always offset from the original image. And now I’m thinking that was never part of the promised functionality. Certainly the auto tracing is producing a perfect trace of the image --it’s really impressive! It’s just that when it goes to cut that image it is happening in a different place. Not a big deal for Proofgrade material, you are cutting through a mask most of the time and peeling that off anyway. But not working well for my particular use case. I do hope it can be added at a future date if it’s not already on the “hoper” list.

4 Likes

It wasn’t ever part of the promised functionality. But…

There might be a way to do it, but I need to experiment a little bit and I’ve gotten a bit distracted today. I’ll run some tests and see what I can make it do.

By the way…vellum is a no-go at the current power levels. Poof! :scream:

(They need to dial that power back some…and yes, I know that’s in the works.)

:relaxed:

5 Likes

The no go on vellum is not a good thing! I had a lot of ideas storing around for that use!! UGH!

2 Likes

Just under the current pre-release power settings. They will scale that down eventually. (It’s probably not a big priority at the moment.)

It tends to torch thin paper too. Dan says that will change.

3 Likes

My brain is really twisted today. All I could think about was the 70’s song “Fire”

Fire (Uh) (Uh)
Fire (It’s all about) (Uh, uh)
Fire (Woo, woo, woo)
Fire

For your entertainment:

2 Likes

I have an unaccountable urge to disco dance…

1 Like

I generally think of Arthur Brown’s fire…

3 Likes

Even worse now, that will be my happy dance once “Glowster” :glowforge: is in his spot at my house.

1 Like

I am literally standing up in front of the computer…dancing. (Took ballroom dance for a PE requirement in college…that was one of the disco era songs.)

Thanks…I needed that. :laughing:

5 Likes

Cool! If you figure it out with the current settings I’d be very grateful! Meanwhile, I wonder if vellum would would if you masked both sides first with this low-tack masking tape I have? Hmmmmmm…

Might work better. I’ve got some that I can try. The stuff is just cotton, so it doesn’t maintain good edges.

I might try a different focal point too…see what happens. That was just a quickie after I finished cutting something else.

Okay, vellum works fine with the double masking.

Pic coming in a minute…

Left: Surface focal point, no masking
Center: Default focal point, masking front and back
Right: Default focal point, no masking

19 Likes

Glad to see another in the wild and clearly in good hands.

Okay, I figured out a way to make it work, and got a cut lined up well, but it’s ridiculously labor intensive. Let me feed hubs and play with it some more tomorrow.

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

Wooo Hooo!!!

1 Like

We <3 customer feedback. Something that may seem silly to you is super helpful to us because it helps us understand where our work doesn’t meet your expectations. We can’t always fix everything, but it helps us understand where to focus our efforts over the long term.

14 Likes

I’m seeing the same behavior. Minimal offset at the center of grid, but increases as you approach the edges.

2 Likes