No Waffle Guide to Inkscape and Glowforge in 25 minutes

Everything you need to know about Inkscape and Glowforge in 10 (whooops 25) minutes.

I couldn’t get it to fit 10 minutes and there are a couple of things I missed out. But this covers 95% of inkscape things I use every day in building GF projects. No waffle.

Errata: 3,4 and 5 are zoom selected, drawing, page NOT F5
and Ctrl-Alt-H, Ctrl-Alt-T to centre, NOT Ctrl-H, Ctrl-T
Also, I apologise for the sound wandering out of sync, no idea how to fix that!

23 Likes

Thanks for doing this! I didn’t watch the whole thing as I’m an Illustrator user primarily, but I think this should be useful for lots of Inkscape users.

3 Likes

Saving to watch later … kind of you to make this. I don’t use Inkscape … but, might come in handy, should the need arise.

1 Like

Watch it double speed and you’re at 12.5 mins, which is pretty close to your goal of 10 :wink:

5 Likes

Dang!!! I should have thought of that!!!

This is great, thank you so much for doing the video.

It’s really hard to see any detail, can you tell me when you created the top to the box what numbers you used to make the inside measurements slightly larger?

thanks!
Martha

1 Like

So in this case the first time for the bottom, the OUTSIDE measurements are 200 x 50.
My material is 3mm thick, so for the top, the INSIDE measurements should be 200 x 50, but I added 1mm.

However, you might need a bit more if for example your box lid is very deep, because I suspect the vacuum pressure when you lift a deep lid off can be quite high. It also depends on the lid shape, can you get a good grip on it.
I’ve got no rule and so far everytime I have had to tweak whatever my first guess was because it was too loose or too tight, or tight one way but not the other etc.

There, that wasn’t helpful at all was it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Can anybody help me with getting the video sharper? I’ve got a 1920x1200 capture and I believe I can export it out cleanly at that resolution too.

But between me and Youtube the resolution seems lost and so it’s not very readable.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix that?

I thought youtube transcoded it into a bunch of resolutions automatically? When you click on the gear, do you get other options? I see 720P as the highest resolution, which is fairly legible…

Not ideal, but not terrible either. I bet google knows how to push it further. Maybe an upload setting?

1 Like

It doesn’t seem like there’s a 1080p version. What is the resolution of the video you’re uploading?

1 Like

tenor

3 Likes

I’m going to try a new upload at 1728x1080 - which is my original capture.
I might also try a 1080p upload as well. Maybe YT doesn’t like non-standard resolutions.

1 Like

This is good! I use illustrator but I see so much on here about inkscape I might have to give it a test run.

1 Like

I’m gonna go ahead and watch this instead of doing work! Thanks again for putting this together.

1 Like

Thanks for the updated version! It’s much clearer!

Oh yeah - I still had to manually pop it to 1080, but then I could read the menus no problem: https://youtu.be/Tz7YJLgL3D0

Thanks!

New hi-res version now online, I have updated the link in the top post.

3 Likes

Dude… I needed to have watched this months ago…this is great, thank you!

3 Likes

oh my gosh. this is a great video!! thank you for making this.