Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

Huh, that is really cool. A little imprecise, but that’s ok as long as you know what you’re getting into. Very nice.

Fascinating! Now I’m having to talk myself out of a 3D printing setup.

3 Likes

I just saw this…i need it. I was trying to think of something similar last year, but i got sidetracked and now the keyboard had been in the closet almost a year because i have no where to put it without it getting under foot.

So now, I’m looking at my son’s desk thinking how I’m going to fit a full sized keyboard under it.

4 Likes
16 Likes

This looks cool. May have to try it with my shaper origin

2 Likes

Consumer/enterprise drone tech has gotten really good.

The cameras, the software, the thoughtful design allowing for hot battery swaps… this rig would pay for itself very quickly with just about any search and rescue team.

10 Likes

That’s an impressive drone. What’s to keep a nosey neighbor from peeking in your window with one of these in a few years?

2 Likes

$14,700 currently.

In the future when it’s much cheaper? Not much, except social norms and decent humanity.

4 Likes

Or, if you are handy: inexpensive computer vision tech + a cheap laser. A few toasted image sensors and, looking in your window becomes less appealing.

5 Likes

Yeah there’s nothing preventing your neighbor from creeping in your bushes with binoculars and doing the same now, yet it’s not super common. I’m not sure the drone angle really changes the equation.

5 Likes

I like @evermorian idea. My neighbors won’t want to get involved with the thorny bushes around my windows. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

+1 for social norms and human decency. It’s easy to overestimate the risk of others behaving badly.

3 Likes

Bougainvillea is such a pretty plant. So much nicer than barbed wire fences but no less threatening.

2 Likes

A good SLR with telephoto lens can put the drone to shame for close-ups of naked neighbors. The use of drones to spy on people is almost always raised by non-drone people.

Frankly even if I could see my neighbors doing something (and drone camera resolutions although impressive aren’t so good they make for great home movies), they’re just not interesting enough to make it worth the effort. Even if I were interested in perving out someone, I think there are better free sources of that kind of movie fodder just a few keyboard clicks away.

3 Likes

Yeah, the field of view of a drone camera is intentionally wide so very little detail is captured of any particular object. Should be far more worried that their super smart refrigerator is uploading photos from a midnight snack run.

2 Likes

Or their alexa is spying on them or their ring camera data is being given to the cops or their tv is covertly connecting to unsecured wifi and scanning your devices (e.g. cellphones that are in the room) to tell advertisers who is watching what….

4 Likes

The Primitive technology channel is back in fine form.

Pro tip: turn on captions, he provides notes.

5 Likes

How a mechanical watch works.

7 Likes

I saw that yesterday and almost posted it here, too. Super interesting.

Apparently some commenter said that the author coded the visualizations in webGL by hand, which sounds crazy to me.

Great resource, very cool.

3 Likes

Or a laser engraver is taking our photos while we engrave in our jammies. Or not :wink:

4 Likes