Not Cutting Through

Depends - it moves up & down in there to focus. Use the lens tool to insert & remove it and you should be okay. Make sure the bump side of the lens is up.

Wow, that’s an incredible! @jamesdhatch Alright, I’ll be home in a couple of hours and will report back.

Can confirm the lens had been in correctly during all of this.

1 Like

Don’t wanna let this post get behind, so just gonna comment on it. Noticed there were a lot of posts after this one being updated, just wanted to see if I could get any response from staff.

I apologize for the late reply, and I’m so sorry you’ve been having trouble with your prints. Thanks for letting us know, and for taking the time to do some initial troubleshooting. So we can investigate further, I’d like to run one more test.

After you’ve thoroughly inspected your unit and design according to the suggestions in our troubleshooter, please try another print. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade Draftboard and let us know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let us know the date and time of your print and send photos of the front and back of the print.

Thank you in advance.

No worries, just glad I got a response eventually!

So I just attempted the print without changing any settings at all, with just the regular medium draftboard being what I was using. The time that I started was roughly 8:58PM Hawaiian time on April 9, 2018.

The front looks great as per usual

But the back looks perforated as if the power isn’t consistent.

This was close to the center of the bed where I have the best consistency with placement and power as the edges of the bed tend to be far off, and the cuts sometimes don’t make it all the way through at all in areas of some projects.

I took the above picture on my laptop before actually exiting from there, and logging onto my desktop to run the test. My laptop was running a little slow, so I figured I would just redo everything from the desktop (much better experience).

Thanks for doing that.

I have one more thing we can try. Please clean the mirror inside the printer head according to these instructions.

Then, try printing the Gift of Good Measure on your piece of Draftboard. Let us know how it goes!

You live in Hawaii? Lucky :duck:! :smile:

Are you pinning the material down to the bed using the honeycomb pins before starting your cuts?

I only ask because that’s a high humidity area, like the one I live in, and the material will develop a slight warp as time goes on making it harder to cut through in one pass.

Since I’ve started pinning the material down (even if it looks perfectly flat, it usually isn’t until you pin it down) I’m getting complete cuts all the time.

Anyway, I thought that might be something to try if you haven’t yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

I. Love. Those. I’ve made at least 20 of them :sweat_smile:.

I wish it were that, but I use the pins all the time. Acrylic is the only material I’ve been able to use that doesn’t require a power change. As soon as I get home tonight, I’ll update with photos of my gimbal mirror for you @jaz and thank you for following up with me.

1 Like

I wonder if the humidity makes wood need significantly more power to cut but doesn’t affect acrylic much. Acrylic does absorb water but nowhere near as much as wood does. It stands to reason you need extra energy to boil off the water before you can burn wood. If you ever try to light a fire with damp wood that becomes obvious.

1 Like

Not a bad point…the humidity might be causing some swelling as well as warping. (The joys of living in a tropical climate.) :smile:

1 Like

Ask and you shall receive:

In case the direct link doesn’t work;

Note: that test was for paper, but should be somewhat consistent with wood. I don’t know about saturation rates - wood will, I believe, absorb less water as a percentage of its mass. You usually see numbers range from around 10 to 30% here, I believe. I’m no expert - just have read a bit.

@jules @palmercr

1 Like

Well that’s pretty clear. Thanks! :smile:

Looks like there needs to be somewhere to declare the RH where you store your materials to the GFUI so it can compensate.

That sounds like a nightmare.

Yes but the concept of PG that is guaranteed to work with the same settings on thousands of machines with differing age tubes, in different environments and naturally varying materials seems like a nightmare to me. Nice idea but every day somebody reports it doesn’t work.

1 Like

Sounds like they need to specify more parameters to me. Huge swings in temp aren’t good. Huge swings in humidity aren’t good either.

Seems like simple parameters on PG would be easy to specify. Keep humidity relatively stable and between X-min and X-max. Outside of that, we can’t guarantee the experience.

Or maybe they should build a scale into the crumbtray that weighs the piece, subtracting cutout areas to determine water weight and just be a magic machine.

1 Like

@palmercr @jbmanning5 It had occurred to me at one point that the humidity may be affecting the wood, but this didn’t happen with my original machine, and it was much more humid then than it is now. I’ve used both proofgrade from orders before I received this machine, and after as recently as a month ago.

Another snag with the theory is that the finished medium premium woods would be resistant to any absorbing natures the core would have especially towards the center of the board. The problem has presented itself not necessarily uniformly, but throughout an entire board whether near the edge or toward center. I’ve measured multiple draftboard pieces and they are consistent within .001-2" which is less than a piece of sticky note paper of which I measured .004". When cutting I’m getting at least a variation of .01" in some areas.

@jaz The mirror was hard to picture, but here are those as well as my second test cut at roughly 8:14am Hawaiian time on April 4

One thing I noticed is that the perforation it creates has a sort of warble in it, not sure if that’s any indication as I would assume the laser may not be a perfect beam, but this cut was even worse than the first test done the other day.

Also, I’ve had a meter (cheap, but gives me readings)

I just moved it from next to my window to the shelves I keep my materials on. It’s dropped 2%, but I don’t believe it will get lower than 80%.

They already have a temperature range that is difficult / inconvenient for a lot of people to maintain in a domestic setting. If they add a tight humidity range as well it starts to be the most finicky laser cutter on the market.

I wonder how long wood takes to absorb moisture. @raymondking32, did you have the first machine long enough for the materials to be affected by your climate?

I’d say so. I had it for about as long as this one. It’s like I said, I’ve used material from both “time periods”. The only wood I’ve yet to try is the hardwood of which I don’t have much of because the humidity affects that by giving a decent amount of bow, whereas the rest of the woods I’ve used are weighed down by each other on flat surfaces, and while in the machine I will tend to use the honeycomb pins mentioned by Jules.