Not even making a clicking sound

My GF is stuck on focusing. I have gone through every step several times of cleaning, disconnecting and reconnecting, turning off computer, everything. It finally made one cut and then nothing. No clicking or anything again. It powers on and just sits there. Please help

Have you ever had to replace the black cable yet? That could be the issue. Another thing that can cause this is your wifi. Something may be interfering with the signal.

the black cable on that attaches the lid? I have only had my machine for a few weeks. And yes the wifi is good. Thanks!

How are you defining this? WiFi is the most common issue, and often the easiest to fix. You should run through the steps here just in case! Worst case scenario you got a bad cable and you’ll need to replace it which is a pain, so fingers crossed it’s one of these:

1 Like

The wifi is working because it will say the lid is open but when I close the lid it sits at focusing.

Great - so you have successfully connected - but that is not an indication that the WiFi is good. Go through the steps linked, the likelihood that’s your issue is high.

2 Likes

When mine did this last month rebooting my WiFi router solved it. Give that a try.

1 Like

lens might be stuck. turn it off, push the lens all the way (use the lens tool) and turn it on and see if you hear it clicking. if you do and it still says “focusing” and no more clicks, or maybe if it clicks after like a minute and then it keeps doing it you may have that common issue “stuck on focusing”

Removing and re-insert the lens in the print head. Remove the white ribbon cable that goes into the print head, check if any of the pins in the connector are bent or damaged, and re-connect the cable.

The black cable is very fragile, so it could be damaged in a moment, or stay working for years. It is also difficult to replace without damaging it, so it needs support working on the mothership to be sure.

Hello there,
I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having this trouble with your machine. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: Cleaning – Glowforge. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply
  2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration
  3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Let us know how it goes!

Hi @danoconn23. It’s been a while since Gabe’s response, and I wanted to check in to see if you’ve been able to complete the steps he mentioned. Let us know any results, or any added information and we’ll be here to help. Thanks!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.