Not working, once again!

This is why we shouldn’t have to rely on your server for our operations. You should really mention in your advertising that the machine can only work when you say it will work. We don’t spend thousands of dollars to buy a machine that is only going to work when you say it will. Imagine buying a car that did this to you and left you stranded everywhere.

1 Like

You’ve opened a support ticket by posting here, so perhaps offering some details about how your machine is “not working” would be helpful for troubleshooting purposes?

1 Like

@corkhats - I saw from your comment on the other persons post that your still having problems after the notification that things are back.

What are your symptoms?

I can throw out a quick suggestion but without details or your problem it might not be helpfull. but here it goes. Have you cleared your browser cache? I have had problems before and that ends up helping quite a bit. There are comments here on how to do that

This is why we shouldn’t have to rely on your server for our operations.

That’s a great idea for a feature - thanks for the suggestion! We haven’t announced anything like that yet, but I’m going to send it to our product team with a note that it came from a customer request.

The issue from earlier has been resolved. Can you try rebooting, trying once more, and let me know if you’re still having any trouble?

4 Likes

You mean like Tesla? Yesterday Tesla owners couldn’t operate their cars because the Tesla server was down (or hacked)!

Curious where you heard that.

Here’s one place: linky I saw it on the net (probably Reddit) yesterday!

Ah, ok. Not what you said. Cars were fully functional.

However, owners can still access and use their cars.

I got the impression they couldn’t use them for about an hour or so! I thought I read they were locked out!

I can print now but everything is SLOW. It takes about 2 minutes to focus and 5 minutes to process my design. Something is definitely still wrong with the servers.

Yup! Mine is stuck on centering. Servers are not fixed.

Or you have a different issue.

2 Likes

The fix you are monitoring is not working.

1 Like

Assuming since most of the people in a Glowforge group on Facebook are having similar issues, pretty sure mine isn’t different. For a LOT of people, the servers are being incredibly slow.

I 6,783rd the idea that you should be able to print when offline since I have now been set back an entire day on a large order I have a deadline on.

3 Likes

@nicholasfuller1990 and @isaac.o.atkinson, since this is someone else’s support ticket, and you’re both still having issues, you should create your own tickets by opening new threads here in Problems and Support, in order to get help resolving whatever’s still going on with your machines.

1 Like

Heck, regardless. That proves my point exactly. Relying on someone’s servers for something you paid for amd most likely need to use often is a very bad idea.

Also, I dont drive a Tesla.

You need to clear your cache and restart your browser after any service outage (and any time the processing gets slow, since a lot of the time these sorts of issues are on the client side).

1 Like

I don’t think it is a bad idea. There must be some benefits to it since interconnected devices become more and more prevalent. There are benefits and downsides to this type of solution to hardware control.

And individual may not want to assume the risk or may not be able. My isolated farm doesn’t have any connectivity. I can’t use my Glowforge there. I would not have bought a Glowforge if that is where I lived, or I would have had to run a telephone line a half mile to my shop. No cell service. And then there are those who for security reasons can’t allow their work to be hosted on a server they don’t control. Definitely a no go for a Glowforge.

For me the benefits are appropriate. Again, since I can use any device that has a browser without having to load any software, I am very pleased. I have had too many devices that would only work with one OS because they never built the right drivers for other OSs.

Cloud computing is not a bad idea. What does break down are components of this. And in that one has to isolate these weak spots. It seems that the wifi component of Glowforges is a weak spot. Yes, it is a problem only because it is needed for server connectivity. But imagine that the Glowforge was driven by a local app. They would still make it wifi enabled, just like most printers that are built these days. And they would still be plagued by folks with spotty wifi connectivity and crabbing because they have to have a computer directly connected to the Glowforge and have to go back and for with files and designs and all the above because the wifi doesn’t work.

As far as downtime, I just haven’t experienced it. Evidently yesterday was a problem. That’s bad. But that also is any technology. I am mad because my $1,000 phone goes crazy at times for some reason because the screen control is messed up. Nothing I touch works and then it just starts randomly opening apps. This phone is made to be virtually unfixable. And yet I bought it, knowing that the benefits outweigh the downsides of selling my soul to Apple. And I pay the replacement insurance because I assume that I’ll need a new one because I’ll lose it or it will break and can’t be repaired.

Evidently the Glowforge model isn’t meeting your needs. Sorry about that. I know they keep making steady improvements. I think they did a pretty good job for a new product like this. If I compare what I get from Glowforge for a Basic with a 1000mm X-Carve, the Glowforge is a way more capable machine that requires so much less effort to operate. It can’t cut through 1/2" walnut very well, but for materials in its stated capabilities, it rocks.

As to the cost of a Pro? I don’t know about that, since I don’t have one. Until they get the pass through software perfect, I think there is some room for debate there.

5 Likes